Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Sporty Chronicles: Hacienda Luisita

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Luisita Interchange entrance from San Miguel, Tarlac City
On our way back to Manila from Pangasinan, I jumped for joy when we found ourselves traversing the San Miguel / Luisita Interchange of the Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway (SCTEx), the longest highway in the Philippines. Thanks to my princess' Red knight, who couldn't find the SCTex Tarlac City Interchange entrance, for this chanced travel which I recorded in my Sporty Chronicles!

Luisita Interchange exit to Manila
The Luisita Interchange is one of the eleven (11) exits starting from Subic in the south and ending in Tarlac City in the north of the 94-kilometer SCTex that connects the Subic Bay Freeport, the Clark Freeport, and Tarlac CityOf all the 11 exits of the SCTEx,  the Luisita Interchange is said to be the only one that directly leads to private property - the Hacienda Luisita.



The Hacienda Luisita is a  6,435 - hectare sugar plantation  owned by the Cojuangco family, which includes the late former President Corazon C. Aquino and her son, our incumbent President Benigno S. Aquino III.  This huge piece of real estate housed the Central Azucarera de Tarlac, one of the largest sugar refinery in the Philippines.  The controversy involving this manufacturing plant and the workers that escalated into the so - called Hacienda Luisita Massacre was used against Pres. Noynoy during his campaign and is still an issue hounding his presidency.



From the San Miguel entrance, I noticed a signage that tells me what inside this (in)famous piece of real estate other than the Central Azucarera de Tarlac. There is Microtel Inn and Suites, Luisita Industrial Park, Luisita Business Park, Las Haciendas de Luisita which  housed the five (5) residential villages named after the second generation Cojuanco sisters: Carmen, Corazon, Josefine, Pacita and Teresita, a Spanish-Mexican inspired multi-purpose Haciendas de Luisita Clubhouse consisting of a sports complex, community clubhouse, function room, swimming pool,  and picnic area, the Luisita Golf and Country Club, and the Central Techno Park.


From where I sit, I enjoyed one smooth, free-flowing, green ride, unlike when we used to drive along Mabalacat Road amidst the traffic and smoke. No doubt, this gift of greenery during travel is brought about by the direct connection of the Luisita Interchange to the Central Techno Park of Hacienda Luisita. This connection, however, has spawned several controversies. Claimants said that the payment to the Cojuangco's of P83 million by the government for the 83 hectares road right-of-way was not only overpriced (Php 100 per square meter where the then on-going rate was only Php 6 per square meter) but also unusual because normally the property owners (who wish to have exits from the highway to their private properties) are the ones who pay the government for these exits (since having the exits increases the value of their private properties). 


Well, I do not know whose claim is right and as a puppy who loves to bark, I  can only hope and pray to these huge santo (carved wooden images of saints at the San Miguel entrance), that the attackers will not bark on the wrong tree!    

8 comments:

  1. I would love to drive through the hacienda and get a real feel of its vastness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea it must be great, i want to do that as well. it has been ages since i really drove around the hacienda.thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving comments.

      Delete
  2. Last time we tried going inside the hacienda and even tried to bribe the guard but not luck! hehe.. I would love to see the inside. I used to work in Central Azucarera Don Pedro and we have one too in La Carlota, (Central Azucarera de la Carlota) and I love the hacienda life! ;) We always stay inside the hacienda for like 4 months in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quality articles іs the important to interest the viеωeгs tο pаy а quick ѵisit the wеb site, that's what this web page is providing.

    Feel free to visit my web page :: Redaksi Harian Sinar Indonesia Baru

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was suggested this website through my cousin. I
    am not positive whether or not this put up is written through him as no one else realize such detailed about my difficulty.

    You're wonderful! Thanks!

    Feel free to visit my site - Blue Season Bali Diving

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the
    message home a bit, but instead of that, this is great blog.
    A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.

    My webpage - Holiday Accommodation Durban Cbd

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your website. It looks like some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a problem with my browser because I've had this happen
    before. Thanks

    Feel free to visit my blog :: Glendale moving expenses

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the
    longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I may just I desire to counsel you few fascinating things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more issues about it!

    Feel free to surf to my homepage - Anaheim CA cross country moving companies

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney