Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Travel Blog Journey...

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
My interests in Travel and blogging (both in their simplest forms - account of field trips scribbled by pen on a simple notebook) came into being when I became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint (LDS) on April 11, 1987


In response to the admonition of the twelfth LDS Church President Spencer W. Kimball to “... begin today and write in it your goings and comings, your deepest thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies", I started my first personal journal dated March 4, 1989. 



I have several binders of journals in our bookshelves since then, which contains records of "things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms" (Doctrine and Covenants 88:79). 


Reading from my first journal, I learned that my very first recorded travel was in Villa Escudero in Tiaong, Quezon Province on Thursday, March 23, 1989. 


"I'm here in Villa Escudero (Laguna) for our Youth Conference. We had a great time here. As we arrived we had a welcome drink in the pavilion. The waitress who served us are wearing "probinsiyana dress". When we are going to Camp Placido, we ride at a carabao with matching "harana". You supposed yourself as you're in a province and you are also a probinsiyana".


Who cares about grammatical errors then? haha -At least you have an idea that at 14 I was already fascinated with the first form of traveling and blogging!


My Journal. To The Past, Present and Future.
 I dedicate this book to the PAST because I came out of it.
To the PRESENT because I live in it.
To the FUTURE because my children shall inherit it.
On April 18, 1992 (Saturday), I began my second Journal. I wrote "As I looked back, reminiscing and capturing the past events, I sighed "there's still a lot of things to be written...my history is not yet complete" - and happiness can be seen in my face, coz I still have time to jot down the details of my comings and goings. I am thankful that I have started recording my life...at least I know where to begin anew...where to continue my pen running...". 


Then on October 11, 2008, upon a friend's insistence, I created "My Comings and Goings" on blogspot. My first blog entry explains the reason for the blog, "This blog is created so I can account and show to families, loved-ones, relatives, friends and colleagues, my journey through life ...through written words and photos of special event, trip and accomplishment". But as in my  private journal, the first few entries therein were merely for personal consumption and was written solely for my posterity. 


The blog has gotten better since then.  First, it has evolved into  a Travel blog after Gael Hilotin a.k.a. The Pinay Solo Backpacker has added me in the Pinoy Travel Bloggers (PTB) group on Facebook sometime in April 2011. I became a regular reader of femme travel blogs like Claire's Lakwatsera de Primera, Gay's Pinay Travel Junkie, Nina's Just Wandering, Liliane's Wanderlass and Chichi's & Loi's We Are Solesisters. Their accounts have gotten me really pumped up about traveling and that fueled my desire to check off some my bucket lists and to write the experiences with netizens in mind. 


And came the first meet up with the PTB Gael Hilotin with young folks Lauren, Ivan, Darwin, and Marco at the Pahiyas celebration in Lucban. After that I became more involved in the PTB community, attending more meet-ups and hosted the Blog Carnival in May 2011 on "My Hometowns". I also get to know more friends' bloggers and followed their blogs like Aleah's Solitary Wanderer, Marky Ramone Go's  Nomadic Photographs, James Betia's Journeying James and Monette and Ron's Flip N Travels.


So when "My Comings And Goingsturned 3 on October 11, 2o11, it has 40 followers, 18,589 page views, 450 published posts and a three (3) month worth of backlogs!  




On November 24, 2011,  "My Comings and Goings" came to the fore as I scored a dollar-domain hosting with GoDaddy. I then changed the design, added a few more pages, spruced it up with more icons and heaps of pictures. After less than 7 months of having a self-hosted blog and as I get  lucky to go on a weekly trip to feed my wanderlust, my followers almost tripled, my page views skyrocketed to more than 51,000, my published posts reached beyond 500 and my backlogs? - I lost count


No worries though. I will surely write about them. If not on thisTravel blog  I will do so in my personal journal because as Pres. Spencer W. Kimball said "What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved? Some of what you write may be humdrum dates and places, but there will also be rich passages that will be quoted by your posterity."
    



This is my entry to the July 2012 Pinoy Travel Blog Carnival with the theme "The Journey That Made Us A Travel Blogger" being hosted by Edmar Gu - Quibb Edmaration Etc.

For previous Blog Carnival topics please visit Estan Cabigas' Langyaw.


8 comments:

  1. Keeping our own journal is as important as breathing. Thank you for sharing your experiences especially the travels...(I grew up in Bikol but haven't been in CamSur, it will be in my lists!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping by my blog and for taking time to comment. Glad my travels have been of help somehow - Yea CamSur is a bliss so make sure to head there and check it out along with other great sites - Caramoan Island, Mayon, and Calaguas Island in CamNorte.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Ate Mhe, I posted recently using my own domain (maytamaka). I exported some of my blogger info to to that one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea i have checked your site Clifford. Thanks for visiting mine and leaving comments. I will reciprocate in your blog too.

      Delete
  3. Ate Mhe-Anne! Really great to know your story. It only shows how hip you are as a lawyer, you really got to rock us! I am so delighted reading that you have started your journey back on 1989! That really sounds passionate. Andun talaga ang hilig eh. Cheers ate and thank you so much for joining this carnival edition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Edmar for suggesting this topic and for hosting it. I am really happy to participate and looking forward to the compilation!!!

      Delete
  4. You are really inspiring ate. I am glad to know that most travel bloggers kept journals in their early childhood. It made me smile. and I love this My Journal. To The Past, Present and Future.
    I dedicate this book to the PAST because I came out of it.
    To the PRESENT because I live in it.
    To the FUTURE because my children shall inherit it.

    "

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ate! I was and will always be impressed with your ways of documenting your life stories, especially the ones that concerns your trips around the world. I greatly admire the way you look at your life and how you look at the world -- as your playground. I am glad that I met you.. But of course, I'm still looking forward to seeing, talking and meeting you in actual. :) To more trips Ate!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney