Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In Flight Meals on Jetstar Airways: Bring - Your- Own (BYO) or Buy-On-Board (BoB)

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


I took off from Singapore  last May 30, 2012 at 7pm for my dream trip to New Zealand. Well,  I scored a $521 round trip ticket with Jetstar Airways, a budget airline of Qantas, and the flight departs in the Lion City being its main hub. But unlike all low-cost carriers, all Jetstar flights fly from Terminal 1 of Changi International Airport instead of at the Budget Terminal. Cool!
It was an A330-200 and said to be Jetstar Airways' biggest, wide-bodied aircraft with business and economy class seating. It has comfortable seats, enough legroom (for a biggie!) and adjustable headrest So far, having a ticket deal like this is truly a steal huh! Except...
Upon take off, the first thing on my mind was the in -flight dinner to be served. I always expect that  free  "hot " meals during loooong-haul flights is part of the cost of tickets, although  I'm  aware that some airlines  have abandoned or began charging for these meals on short - haul flights. I didn't think then that my ticket steal on Jetstar Airways did not come with a free meal (since Singapore to Auckland involved a 10 and a half hours flight time!) but rather on a Buy -On-Board or you can Bring - Your - Own (which will not  work for me since I want something "hot" and "unpredictable" meal options). Ouch ouch. 
Gourmet Chicken Wrap AU$ 12 (Php 516) / Nissin Cup Noodles AU$ 5 (Php 215) /  Lemonade AU$ 3 (Php  129)
Lessons learned: I should have read the conditions of my plane ticket or explored the website coz  the in-flight options including meals are clearly spelled out there! For Jetstar Airways economy tickets, pre-purchasing meals - independently or as part of a Plus or Max bundle is offered on international flights - or you can select on board meal service from JetCafe using a credit card since it is "cashless transactions" only . For water, Jetstar's A330 aircraft has a water fountain with disposable cups in the cabin so that's good for those who like me can't drink a non-cold water. 
Chicken with Noodles AU$15.00 (Php 645) / Soda AU $3 (Php 129)
If you are like me who prefer a hot dinner and didn't want to bring own food on board (to avoid hassles at x-ray) or if you do not own a credit card yet, then pre-purchasing meal would be good since the "main meal" option is not always available on all flights. I have to settle for a light meal of gourmet chicken wrap and cup noodles for my inbound flight to Auckland (but was a bit lucky to have a main meal of chicken and noodles during my outbound flight to Singapore on June 9, 2012).
I don't know about you, but in-flight meals determine my mood on arrival at the destination. So, I guess, these days it is safe to assume that it is Buy-on-Board (BoB)  or Bring -Your-Own (BYO) for economy tickets on budget airlinesregardless of length of flights. It would be a good practice to get a good meal before flight and bring biscuit or be ready to pay over-priced meals on board using plastic (which I'm lucky to still have at this point!). Sans the meal issue though, I arrived in Auckland, New Zealand feeling lucky that morning of May 31, 2012 (since New Zealand is ahead by 4 hours our time). Check my post - Get Lucky to Fund Your Wanderlust - to know why! Happy Flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney