Friday, June 1, 2012

Beary Best Hostel: Extension of my room in Singapore!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
As an arctophile or a  teddy bear collector, I always wish that my more than a hundred teddy bears received from friends or bought as pasalubong would follow me to my travel destination! Oh! How my heart thumps when my wish was granted while in Singapore last May 29, 2012!
Oh well, not that I brought with me all my bears confidantes, but my accommodation for the night called Beary Best! by a beary good hostel has lots of teddies everywhere that made me feel right at home!
I have no regrets choosing Beary Best! by a beary good hostel  over the comfort of a five - star hotel offered by my client at a discounted fee (which is still too much to spend for a one night lay over at $176) . Alright, I only have a bunk bed and the room is intended for eight (8) other females, but there were only three other girls while I was there ( 2 girls from Thailand and a girl from India) who are young and friendly so I didn't mind losing my privacy for a night (or should I say the privacy is just a white curtain away *wink *wink). 
The pillows and bed are comfortable, clean and big enough for me (or even for a biggie). So while it is the bears that initially drew me to book Beary Best! by a beary good hostel,  it is this boutique backpackers hostel's central location, friendly staff and reasonable price that I definitely will consider staying here again (if my friends cannot accommodate me) while in Singapore!
Central LocationEven if you're not crazy with teddy bears (like this two male bears lol), Beary Best! by a beary good hostel could still be the best place for you if you are a first timer or commuting for the first time in Singapore (like ME!).It is located in the heart of heritage Chinatown (16 Upper Cross Street, Chinatown, Singaporewhich is very accessible from the  Changi Airport via MRT. The commute is about 40 minutes and it was no sweat if you just follow the simple directions included in the Hostelworld confirmation email or in the text message they sent you a day before your arrival! (I have never experienced such a treatment even in a five-star hotel huh!).  
Here's the directions to the hostel.
From Changi International Airport:
MRT (~40 min | SGD 3.20 single journey ticket with 

SGD 1 refundable upon return of the green card 
or you can opt for a 2-3 day pass)

i) Take the airport MRT to Tanah Merah

ii) Then from Tanah Merah take train bound for 
Joo Koon (2) on EW Line  and alight at 
Outram Park station (EW16) around 13 stops. 
ii) Switch to purple NE line and alight at the next stop 
- Chinatown MRT station (NE4) 
iii) Exit through Exit E (towards Chinatown Point). 

Make your way across the road towards Hotel 81.
iv) Walk down the Upper Cross Street until you reach 

Beary Best @ 16 Upper Cross Street! 
(Look up for the infamous blue Beary sign!)

Chinatown is good place to be when you are in Singapore because Chinese culture and history heritage sites, shopping options, and cheap delicious food are just right around the corner.  Everything you need to visit are either just within 100 meters from the hostel or just a "hop at the MRT away" like Sentosa, Clark Quaye, Merlion, Little India, Singapore Flyer, City Hall, etc. 

Friendly Staff and Laid - Back, Safe Stay- Excellent service from friendly and helpful staff really made my stay in this hostel homey. The rules are simple, considerate and couch in good terms (funny bears!) so guests and bears followed them. Below is the rules posted on our door, then there's one in the lounge area, and another in the small dining table which says " if you are old enough to travel, then you are old enough to wash your utensils". But if you still unsure of the rules or need some directions, then the staff are ready to assist you.
Backpacker's Affordable Price - At backpacker prices, Beary Best! by a beary good hostel has  a range of dorms, including a female only dorm (where I stayed at SGD 32 (Php 1,000) including service fee and a refundable key deposit of SGD 15), mixed dorm rooms and family rooms. The room is air-conditioned, with private CR with hot and cold shower while the bed space has two pillows, clean sheets over comfortable mattress, white curtain, own light and socket for charging. The fee includes  a continental breakfast, unlimited drinks, use of the common area with huge tv, iron,  conceirge where you can leave luggage and safety locker (you just have to provide the key).


Beary Best! is Beary good hostel indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Oh so cute! That hostel's really for you, ate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's right Gay. I felt like Luna's gang is all around me haha. Now,I have an excuse to go cheap in Singapore...thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney