Saturday, May 19, 2012

Travel Philippines 2012: TAKE 4 in Iloilo City

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Iloilo is a province of the Philippines located in the Western Visayas subdivided into 42 municipalities, one component city and one highly urbanized city. Although independent from the Province of Iloilo, the provincial capital remains  to be Iloilo City which is a useful transit point for Guimaras Island and other Visayan islands.
We were in Iloilo City from 6am to 1:10pm last May 17, 2012 and here's my TAKE 4 in this economic hub, cultural and heritage center aside from doing the Lakbay Jose Rizal @ 150 Heritage Pilgrimage Trail.
Take the Cultural & Heritage Center (Spanish-American Tour) which includes a visit to 9 sites that highlights Iloilo City's ancient and historical heritage as a prominent place hosting the religious-political power of the Spanish Authority during the colonial period. The Molo Church, Jaro Cathedral/Belfry, Sinamay House, Philippine -American Cemetery and other colonial homes of sugar barons and mooch highlights this tour. If you still have the time to wander around, check on Maragtas (Historical Landmarks) and Maricudo (Historical Educational Institutions) Tours. Just don't forget to take brochures while at the Iloilo Airport. 
Award the Franklin S. Richards Pro Bono Service Award to recipient Atty. Benjamin Candari, Jr. from Bacolod City who happens to be in Iloilo City while I was there. He contacted some J.Reuben Clark Law Society - Philippines Chapter members - Provincial Prosecutor Virgilio Garcia and Chris Barredo for a meet - up. It was a great meeting!!
Kick-start your Lakbay Jose Rizal @ 150 Heritage Pilgrimage Trail (with side trips) just like what I did by flying from Manila to Iloilo City thru its new airport to check off No. 17 - Molo Church (St. Anne's Parish) and Escolta then take one of the many ferries bound to Bacolod City where you can take a Ceres bus bound for No. 18 - Dumaguete City (or stay first in San Carlos City and swing by Sipaway Island for some cool swimming)  then hop on board a ferry from Sibulan, Negros Occidental to Liloan Cebu. Finally a three hour bus ride to Cebu City to check off No. 19 - Fort San Pedro before flying back to Manila.
Enjoy  Iloilo's delights  like La Paz Batchoy and Pancit Molo or just have lunch in one of its many restaurants like Ocean City Restaurant and satisfy your gastronomic pleasures. Take home some pasalubong like galletas and muscovado sugar or its Dinagyang shirt.
Well no matter how long or short you are in Iloilo, you will surely be able to have a TAKE 4 experience to your liking.

16 comments:

  1. Mmm. La Paz Batchoy! I LOVE your shirt, ate :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gay! I wore this shirt again during my recent trip and i always get people stare at me and remarks "I love your shirt!" haha

      Delete
  2. wow, La Paz Batchoy. you did business and pleasure, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many great food in Iloilo. La Paz Batchoy, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try the authentic La Paz Batchoy in Iloilo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't leave without pasalubong! The galletas are amazing I presume!

    ReplyDelete
  6. never been to Iloilo (yet) but love batchoy and pancit molo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this Mhe-Anne! I'm actually booked for iloilo this October, and I'm already looking forward to eating their famous La Paz Batchoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah! its best to eat La Paz batchoy when you're in Iloilo no other place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I miss most about Iloilo is the pizza we tried before, I can't remember the name but sure have given me a very good memory. I also love La Paz batchoy, always best when in Iloilo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best memory I have about Iloilo is having to taste a really good stone oven baked pizza, I just forgot the name. I also enjoyed La Paz Batchoy which is only good when you're in Iloilo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to Iloilo too, you can try the best La Paz Batchoy, Deco's and Ted's La Paz batchoy are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pancit Molo is my favorite Iloilo's delicacy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only thing I know about Iloilo is their La Paz Batchoy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems there's a lot of good food in iloilo ... soon I will know.

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney