Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Mom's Gift of Travel and Mother's Day!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
Mother's Day marker in Philadelphia (USA)
Traveling and Mother’s day do not always go together, at least for ME and my sassy MOM, whom we fondly call mami (Tagalog for noodles haha)!
But don't get me wrong! I always spend every Mother's Day with my kikay mom (as declared by Trendy Girls Biz) and do something meaningful in her honor. It's just that none of those mom's gifts relate to traveling on the second Sunday of May.
I can offer a few excuses why I haven't thought of a mother- daughter travel date on Mother's Day: First,  we have an out of town trip a few days before Mother's Day as part of our family reunion (April 29-May 1). Second, I always relate Mother's Day as a celebration for the four (4) moms in the family (my three sisters -in-law included) and so they usually get the same gift. And third, mami will not enjoy a travel without my papa or the whole family anyway!
So the gift of travel for my mami I usually offer either on her birthday (November 14) and/or on their wedding anniversary (December 19), two occasions where she is allowed to invite papa or the whole family.
During these group travels, I always create a "me with my mommy" time  so I can be with the woman who mean so much, taught me so much and love me so much! In pictures, here are our travels where I singled out my mami for photo opportunities ...
Boracay (December 14-19, 2005) was the first gift of travel I gave mom (and papa) for their  35th wedding anniversary (December 19) . It was my mom's first travel by plane, and first - ever vacation.    
Cebu (November 8-12, 2010) was the first whole family travel by plane (19 pax all together aboard Cebu Pacific Airlines) for our family temple sealing in the LDS Cebu Philippines Temple. Although we can be sealed at the LDS Manila Philippines Temple in White Plains Quezon City, I still chose to fly everyone to Cebu City since my mami's 61st birthday (November 14) was that weekend too.  We celebrated her advance birthday in Hadsan Cove Beach and sightseeing around Cebu City. 
Road Trips North - since 2000 when I owned my first car, I have gone around Tagaytay, Bulacan, Pampanga, Tarlac, Clark, Subic, La Union, Baguio, Laoag and Abra with my mom and the whole family.
Road Trips South- became more frequent when I have my SUV cars and driver. We would go back and forth to her hometown in Camarines Norte, then  go sightseeing in Camarines SurAlbayQuezon, Batangas, and Laguna. 
Brunei Darussalam (September 1-4, 2011) was my mom's first international trip where she had a royal treatment in terms of accommodation (courtesy of a kind Couchsurfing angel), a visit to the palace to shake hands with the Queen  and visit to Bandar Seri Begawan's golden structures!
So although I haven't had a chance yet to travel solely with my mami, I have never felt a third or fifth wheel during travels. And though the travel is a treat for her, I am always  the one who get the mom's treatment - she makes sure I get to eat the best meal on time, prepares my clothes for the day and caress my hair to sleep, like I am still her little "girl"!  I am so blessed to have a chance to travel with my wonderful and loving mami. Those experiences are priceless!!

I love you Mami! Happy Mother's Day! 

This is my entry to the Pinoy Travel Bloggers’ Blog Carnival for May 2012 with the theme “Traveling with your mom (A Mother's Day special)", hosted by Alvin Sabay of The World Behind My Wall.
Check out the previous blog carnival topics in Estan CabigasPinoy Travel Bloggers Blog Carnival.


21 comments:

  1. nice Mother's Day special, Mhe! Goodluck on the entry, hope it wins! (if it's a contest), also thanks for the special mention of TrendyGirls Biz :) Happy Mother's Day Mami! - May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks May for checking this post. It is not a contest, the Pinoy Travel Bloggers where I am a member holds a monthly blog carnival where all members get to write about a common theme and the one who suggested that theme gets to compile it. This month's theme is on traveling with mom in line with the Mother's Day celebration.

      Delete
  2. Your mom deserves all these. She's a lucky mom and you're a lucky daughter. Ahhh. I really look forward to travelling with my mom, too. I am thinking of bringing her and my brother to HongKong one day. :)

    Thank you for sharing the pics... Make me miss my mom a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so sweet. I especially liked the effect on the photo (I don't know what it's called), basta yung may bilog na focus sa inyo ni mami mo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww.. sweet! :) i love travelling with mom too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've known you "comings". I know also your "goings". Now, I know you "doings" You did it well, Sister. Congratz and Happy mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I was your mom, I would be so proud of you! Hehehe.. But on a serious note, I really love your passion not just for exploring the world but for also exuding that passion when it comes to showering your family with love. You and your mom are blessed to have each other. Advance Happy MOther's day to your Mami. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mothers day to your mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day to your mom. Well, I think she really did enjoy her travel escapades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Mother's Day to your jetsetter Mom.:) The best mothers day bonding you have with your mom is travelling through life together.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy mom's day to you and your mom, enjoy the bonding

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweeeeeeeeet dafter! You really take after your mami. Look-alike kayo. :) My mom also prepares my food and baon, pero buti na lang she does not caress my hair, hehehe.

    Happy mami's day to your lovely mami!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like how you call your mom "mami" ,lol,noodle translation. My mom ,we foundly calls her "madir",even ourdrivers,housemaids, my nieces and nephews yaya's,employees, friends and neighbors,call her madir.Yes,he is everybody's mother.We just used to call her that, i guess those names were our way of saying how much we love them.We have the same sassy ,kikay moms. Now ,yuor post made me miss madir a lot. Happy mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Atty! hawig na hawig mo mommy mo! Weeeee ang sweet naman!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sure know how to make your mami happy! I hope someday I could travel with my mom around the world~ But I'm already happy with just the simple mall travels with her. She always treats me to lunch or dinner. =))

    ReplyDelete
  15. You Mom is very fortunate to have caring family members like you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ^totally agree with this comment. pictures pa lang, i can feel the great amount of love in your family. happy mother's day to your mami mhe-anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quite expensive treat for your mother on Mother's Day
    but i know no amount of money can buy your happiness.
    Your mom is lucky to have a generous daughter and
    you are fortunate as well to have a mom as loving and dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  18. By looking at the pictures, I know your mom was really happy with all the blessings she's got from all of you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. cool mom! happy mothers day to her :)
    kahit late greet na.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish my mom was into travel like yours!

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney