Sunday, April 1, 2012

UK Winter 2012: Superlatives Sights In London,England!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda




Calling my stay in London, England short is an understatement. I was in this iconic city for less than 24 hours only, in a two-day spread - 12 noon to 7pm on January 29, 2012 and then 9pm until 12 noon before my departure on February 2, 2012! 


With such limited time and broken schedule, my usual duo of  taking a  hop - on hop - off bus tour to explore more sights was not an option. But despite the odds, I was still able to see what I long to see, which are the "superlatives" attractions I might say. Thanks to my Couchsurfing host and co-Pinoy Travel Blogger friend Catherine Iblan for the itinerary and guided tour! 




1 British Museum is a neoclassical building where our national hero spent most of his time when in London. To date, it is the biggest and greatest museum in the world  with incomparable  collection of archaeology, prints and drawings, coins, medals and ethnography founded in 1753. 

2. Buckingham Palace is the principal residence of Queen Victoria since her accession to the throne in 1837. 




The biggest and most colorful attraction in Buckingham Palace is the Changing of the Guards which usually takes place at 11.30 am daily in the summer and every other day in winter months of August to April. This is the reason why I didn't get to see it . 




Houses of Parliament is the majestic Gothic style building officially known as the New Palace of Westminster built between 1837 and 1888. Occupying 8 acres, the building is home to the House of Commons, House of Lords, offices, libraries, dining hall and other rooms.




4 St. Paul's Cathedral is a beautiful Renaissance building dominated by splendid dome measuring 111 meter-high, the largest in the world after St. Peter's in Rome. 



5 Big Ben is the name popularly given to the majestic graceful 97m Clock Tower. But actually, this London's famous landmark is the nickname of the Great Bell that strikes the hours and weighs over thirteen and a half tons .




6 London Eye is the 135m tall observation wheel that is an extremely popular attraction in London. With 32 fully enclosed capsules, each accommodating 25 people,  the wheel rotates around 30 minutes to complete a full 360 degrees, affording riders a superb view of London's famous landmarks!

7 Hyde Park is the largest continuous open space in London with 635 acres shared with Kensington Gardens and is the most popular for being in the center of a bustling city.



9 St. James Park is the most beautiful of the royal parks consisting of 93 acres and dates back in the 16th century.




10 The Palace of Whitehall (or Palace of White Hall) used to be the largest palace in Europe from 1530 until 1698 before everything was gutted by fire except the Banqueting House. The over 1,500 rooms were occupied as the main residence of the English monarchs. 

26 comments:

  1. Speechless! LOndon nga! I'm seeing some of the most famous landmarks in the world. Love it atty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! =) I still dream of going to the UK, especially to visit the Palaces! For some reason, I am drawn to such lovely exteriors & interiors. And must I say, for a short layover, you've managed to visit a lot of attractions! Well done =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've covered so much in the space of a few hours! And your photos are so fun. It looks bitingly cold though. Parusa yan sa picture-taking. You have to take your gloves off. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buti napagkasya mo yung limited time to see all those sights.

    Kung ako yun, baka sa Museum lang ako nakapunta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UK is one of my travel destination dreams since then..seeing friends and reading bloggers' posts made me envy them.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!
    You've covered a lot especially considering the limited time to wander around..
    Superlative much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow envy your dear!! you look you had a very great time going around there!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. only in my dreams...
    when can i travel the world?
    will i ever see LONDON and its beauty?

    it's a lovely place though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sama mo po kami Me-Ann! Hays kailan kaya ako makakapunta dyan sa London!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello poh ulet;) wow superlative dream q n makarating ng london or any part of europe,,,kulang ang 24hours to explore this beautiful place

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ayaw ko na tingnan blog mo minsan ... nakakainngit e. Ganda ng places.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I can visit those places, maybe in my dreams., it is quite expensive to visit Europe eh :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waaaaahhhh. Naiingit ako Atty. :) nagkita pa kayo ni Cath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo nga Olan suwerte ko nameet ko na si Cath. parang nasa Davao lang kami watching the parade with you hahaha..perfect timing coz pagdating ko at pag alis off nya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buti ka pa ang dami mong pictures ako dito na ako nakatira sa England parang dalawa lang yong picture ko sa Buckingham Palace. Taken in 2009 ewan ko ba nahihiya ako.

    ReplyDelete
  16. now i'm getting curious with coachsurfing. does it let you fly to different places? coz i think pinaytraveljunkie is also a member....mmmh

    ~germeline

    ReplyDelete
  17. INGGIT MUCH!!! You've been everywhere! Lahat ng gusto ko puntahan napuntahan mo na. Love the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. it's always been my dream to see the big ben! oooh, you're so fortunate :)
    take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am turning green of envy here. Those places the most visited place in London. I hope one day I can be there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was very ρlеased to discοver this ѕite.

    Ι need tο to thank you fοr onеѕ time just for
    this fantаstic read!! I dеfinitely savored everу bit оf it anԁ I haνe you saved to fav to look at new stuff on your
    site.

    Here is my web blog :: Cebu Island Resorts Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  21. Right here is the right website for everyone who would like
    to understand this topic. You know so much its almost tough
    to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic that's been discussed for years. Great stuff, just excellent!

    My website :: Bali Mandira Hotel Map

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
    My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors
    would definitely benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this ok with you. Thanks a lot!


    Also visit my blog post :: Accomodation At Durban Beachfront

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent article! We are linking to this great article on our
    site. Keep up the great writing.

    Also visit my webpage ... moving company reviews Anaheim

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ηowdy! I juѕt wish to offеr you a hugе thumbs up for the great іnfo you have got rіght hеrе on
    this pοst. ӏ аm гetuгning to youг sіte for more soon.


    mу wеblοg - movers Fort Lauderdale FL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ηi, I do belieνe yоuг websіte cоulԁ be having internet browser сompаtibilitу pгoblems.
    Whеneѵеr I take a look аt your website in Ѕafari, it looκs finе hοwever, when opening іn IE, it's got some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, wonderful website!

    Review my weblog: Miami moving companies

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your views are pleasant designed for
    new people.

    Feel free to surf to my weblog; moving company long distance Kirkland WA

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney