Thursday, April 26, 2012

Travel Memories (Part V): Fun In The Sun From U to Z...

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda

Alright.All good things come to an end (or rather will reach its last part) and so is my Summer Alphabet FUN IN THE SUN Series... after ABCDE, FGHIJ, KLMNO, PQRST, here's to the last part - the UVWXYZ of my favorite, fun summer activities as I travel around different countries ... 

U – Underwater & Water Adventures  

Underwater and other water adventures abound in the summer much more than just scuba diving. In fact, my memory book contains an array of fun activities at the bottom of the ocean, river or lake where I  met water creatures eyeball - to - eyeball like my Butanding Adventure in Donsol, Sorsogon (where I found myself head-on with the gentle whaleshark), Snorkeling in Mindoro and BatangasSwimming around the beautiful beaches of the Philippines (i.e. Calaguas, PagudpudPalawanHundred IslandsCebu, Cagayan de Oro, Samal Island, Camiguin Island) or around the neighboring countries in Asia like in Kota Kinabalu, Hongkong and Guam. I also had a share of water activities atop the water like my Water skiing in Bearlake, Utah (USA), Whitewater rafting in Cagayan de Oro, Waterfalls adventures in Cateel, Davao,  Sagada, Pagsanjan, Dolphin watching in Bohol, Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls (USA), picknicking in McNears Beach in California, sand playing in Point Reyes Beach in California...oh the list is Looong like summer

– Vagabonding in Cambodia

Summer is about vagabonding or wandering wherever I please and discovering  the world on my own terms. Such was the case with the Sunset River Cruise in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. There were 17 people on the boat, of varying nationalities and ages, whom I met for the first time, except for my brother Allan, friends Jean, Arlene and CS host Elma. Yet we had so much fun mingling, eating, singing and dancing macarena (I was instant dance instructor and I'm not even a dancer hahaha!) . Well, this experience tells me that an enjoyable summer requires spontaneity and independent spirit - marks of true  vagabonds


WAKEBOARDING in CAMSUR
Wakeboarding or Cable Ski is a surface water sport which was developed from a combination of water skiing, snow boarding and surfing techniques . Here the wakeboarder glides thru the surface of a body of water using a board that is being pulled by either a speedboard cable or cable lines like the one in CamSur Water Sports Complex (CWC) in Pili, Camarines Sur (Philippines). It was hard at first, but I had soo much fun!


X – XTREME  SUMMER ADVENTURES 

Other than those involving water adventures, my summer is also characterized by adrenaline-filled thrills that involves the sky, the wind, the mountain, the sunlight and being at a peak where I pushed my physical and mental limitations a bit more so I could check off No. 9 (take a physical risk) of My Journey to Gutsiness. For one I have been in Xtreme Park inside Sunway Lagoon in Malaysia where I crossed the long bridge (overcame my fear!) and tried the Buffalo Bills Coaster ride. Then there's the Luge and Skyride in Singapore the Sky CoasterViking and Roller Coaster rides in Tongdo Fantasia in Masan, South Korea,  Gondola Ride in to Aspen, Mountain climbing in Kota Kinabalu, Hanging Bridges crossings,  Trekking, Hiking, Climbing up and down hundred steps and Reaching the Peaks  - Twin Peaks in San Francisco (USA), Hollywood Peak in Los Angeles (USA), Victoria Peak and Giant Buddha in Hongkong and  Philippine Peaks like in Baguio, Dipolog and Mindoro among others. 

Y – Yoga with Buddha in Vietnam

You don't need to go as far, because Yoga according to blogger Judi England  is all about taking pleasure in the everyday thing and feeding the spirit by seeking out positive people and spending time with them. This was exactly what I did in Vietnam one summer with my brother Allan and friends Jean and Arlene. We have so much fun taking delight in getting to know Ho Chi Minh City and beyond, meeting the locals, tasting their food, absorbing their  relaxing culture like water puppetry and coffee shops, going through the Cu Chi tunnel and doing the best summer activity that is free and easy -  walking. Of course, despite the jam packed summer itinerary, many times I did slow down to recharge - like when we spent the night in The Farm (Lipa Batangas) and had a massage in Sonya's Garden in Tagaytay

Z – Zestful Summer in Singapore

Summerlike the alphabet, no matter how looong will end  with a Z for Zest!  And like Singapore Flyer, (a magnificent wheel capsule standing at stunning 165m, with a height of a 42-storey building, treating every rider to a visual 360° feast of iconic and historical landmarks of Singapore at every turn), my past decade long summer is a complete round of sunshine- a real FUN IN THE SUN


- This is the last part of the series, but It's Not The End-  I can definitely do the Summer Alphabet all over again... after an equally adventure-filled Winter (lol)! And because I can't get enough of this summer, I am making Blog Pages for Global Summer Alphabet and Summer More Fun In the Philippines Alphabet (watch out for it). Thank you for following my Looong Summer AdventuresWith that I say ---I truly had Summer Like No Other! I hope you all do too. 

21 comments:

  1. I must really go get the freakin out of my computer table and go visit one of these summer getaways. I won't let summer pass without an underwater shot, for the first time.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Mel! Go go go and Have A Fun Summer!!

      Delete
  2. is the first image really underwater, just curious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope Chris. The picture was taken on a boat in Donsol, Sorsogon just before I jumped into the water to meet head on with the Butanding. The actual underwater shot (i'm still looking for it) will be included in the More Fun In The Philippines Summer Alphabet.

      Delete
  3. Katuwa naman ng photo mo sa Zestful summer, atty mhe-anne! Effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. Renz effect lang yan, no effort coz i was lying flat inside the glass capsule of Singapore Flyer so like hanging in Singapore!

      Delete
  4. you are adventurous! I wish I had half your spirit, kasi ako tamad and landbound...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. life's full of adventure so i'm going along with it hahha

      Delete
  5. ebeyrhting looks so fun!! love the singapore! and vietnam! haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you're not just well-travelled, you're also very active! Ironically, of all the things you've enumerated there, I've only experienced Maid of the Mist in Niagara. All the rest I haven't done (except for going to the beach, of course, but I haven't even seen a butanding!).

    Gosh you pressure, este, inspire me to do more! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.pressure ba AJ. Well, at least Niagara is a huge thing. Nung July 2011 ko lang nga napuntahan yun eh.I am also amazed that I am so active despite my heart condition haha. Well, everything I guess is a self imposed limitations huh, esp. in the summer!

      Delete
  7. wow!! i hope i could also experience these activities.. I want to make my own version of the summer alphabet haha!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey! The alphabet is now complete :D.

    Isn't vagabonding a bit dangerous?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is great you got those escapes during the summer season. Vagabonding seems new to me :) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I need to start doing yoga, I need that inner peace :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Ma'am Mhe-Anne, ikaw na talaga ang grabe maka-travel.
    Your photo in the hand rail made me smile.
    Summer's definitely the time to go somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  12. ikaw na ang reyna ng summer escapades! this is fun to look at :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! Summer is really fun in the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally ate Mhe Anne. Now the fun under the summer sun is complete and pang finale talaga ang saya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is what I wanna do these days. To travel and be on vacation. Yay, excited nako!!!

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney