Saturday, April 21, 2012

Travel Memories (Part III): Fun In The Sun From K to O

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda

My Summer is Looong so  here's the third sequel to my Fun In The Sun series for the taking (I mean reading!). But to make sure you still know your Summer Alphabet (hehe), click on the ABCDE and FGHIJ of my favoritefun summer activities over the years, as I travel around different countries - Aspen (Colorado) Summer Culture Immersion, Blueberries Picking in Ackersjon (Sweden), Cruise Vacation in Northern Europe, Diving in Boracay (Philippines), Easter Fun With Family, Fantasizing in Disneyland (Hongkong and Los Angeles), Gold Rush in Coloma (California), Hula Hooping in Aspen Mountain (Colorado),  Island Hopping in Caramoan (Philippines), and   Jumping Craze in Dipolog (Philippines)... And now the fun in the sun continues with KLMNO -- 

K – Kayaking in Hawaii's Kai Lua Beach

Kayaking or Canoeing is one summer activity that is worth going out for, as far as Hawaii (USA) and experiencing the beauty and wonder of Oahu's world famous Kailua Bay and its Mokulua islands.  Well, I am not taking Kayaking sitting down (haha) just that I don't have a scanned photo of me actually doing this adrenaline - filled summer sport since there was no digital camera yet in 2000 (and my scanner is currently out of order). But I assure you that this Kayaking excursion in Kailua Bay,  paddling over its pristine waters and calm winds is one of the best summer memories I had!

L – Lake Viewing Luxury in Colorado

Aside from the magnificent view of the Maroon Bells looking up, summer in Snow Mass, Colorado (USA) also presents another affordable luxury down below - Lake Viewing! Oh! the beautiful scenery of the calm Maroon lake in the middle of green lush fields of wild flowers that mirrors the world's most photographed "twinfourteeners Maroon Bells and sorrounded by aspen and pine trees, creates a true nature's masterpiece to behold and feel! Here, you can choose to stand or sit, or pose or walk, take the upper or lower scenic trail while clicking the shutter. But whatever you do, you will surely have no trouble taking "postcard perfect view" even though you are a novice photographer like me. The view is truly breathtaking and spectacular! A summer's delight!

M – Magayon Festival in Albay  

Summer's beauty and bounty is at its best in the province of Albay in the Bicol Region with its  annual Magayon Festival from April 1 to 30. Literally means beautiful festival, the Magayon Festival's month-long celebration showcases hundreds of activities where locals and guests enjoy Bicol's rich culture, history, crafts, and cuisine as inspired by the Legend of Daragang Magayon (Bikol for ‘beautiful maiden’) which tells of the majestic perfect-coned Mayon Volcano which I was lucky to see from every angle! 
N – Norway's Midnight Sun
Another one -of- a kind summer experience I had was seeing Norway's Midnight Sun in Trondheim. Yes!During the summer months, Norway doesn't get dark at night and that goes for the whole country. So I was very lucky to be roadtripping that summer from Sweden to Norway and back when I noticed that the sun stays in the sky around the clock. The midnight sun is indeed phenomenal!!

 Ostersund Moosing Around 

My summer trip in Ostersund, Sweden was an opportune time to see moose (elk), the largest extant species in the deer family. I have always been amazed with this large and yet slow-moving and sedentary animals usually only seen in the wild. So when my friend brought me to Moose Garden  to observe real, live moose during a  safari-tour, I was overjoyed and considered it an extra - Ordinary treat! But what really put me in awe was finding this huge beast surprisingly gentle as I interact and feed them in their natural environment! 

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks.i always enjoy the travel as a way of thanking the people and God who made those experiences possible.

      Delete
    2. Franc Ramon, sorry sorry. I accidentally deleted your comment and don't know how to undo it.anyway, writing this so just everyone knows there's nothing wrong with your comment ahhaa.thank you

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks Chrisair. the secret is a Nikon Coolpix and Picasa editing haha

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous of you cuz you're halfway around the world, or prolly you've circumnavigated the earth already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, not even close to one tenth haha - just 25 countries out of the 246, then 25 US states and 61 Philippine provinces coz i'm blessed to have generous friends or family in those places!

      Delete
  4. Wow you're really a frequent traveler. That's a luxury that everyone wants to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Biboy. i'm grateful that i'm able to travel, though i'm not rich or whatever - just lucky to have generous family and friends out there!

      Delete
  5. oh no!, parang ang hirap imemorize ng summer abc's of fun mo hehehe... ang galing! katuwa tong post na to.. next time naman 1-2-3's hehe love your photos and your adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gemma for the comments. Kantahin mo lang and ABC para madali then read mo yung posts ko hahaha..when I'm finished with A to Z, I will make a Page called My Summer Alphabet so it will be easier for you to check back again when you forget haha..

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely way to share your travel stories, Ms. Mhe-Anne.. I wish I could do the same in the near future -- get to go on a world tour just like you did. You've truly seen much of the world, and I'm super happy for you! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mai dear for the sweet comments. I'm sure you'll be able to go places too which you already had started, just one step at a time. I never thought I would be able to actually travel but glad I have generous family and friends and bosses who help me make it possible.

      Delete
  7. I like your idea on the alphabet thing for travelling. My mom is from Bicol also but I've never been to Caramoan. Haayy! kainggit hehe.. Your photos are all beautiful.. I can see how much fun you had! I love how you labeled Albay, Philippines as MAGAYON BICOL, and "Magayon" means MAGANDA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh nice to know Carol that your mom is from Bicol. My family is from there too, both mother and father side, but we never live there except when i was much younger. we always take the opportunity to get back and when we do we visit all magayon sights like Caramoan, CamSur, Mayon and Calaguas among others!

      Delete
  8. I like how you list your Travel destinations! I hope I could do that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I always envy travel photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! I know it is not good to be envious but I do feel that way now. It's quite hard to travel with kids. We can only consider a trip if we know our son would enjoy it and the place is safe for them. I want to have an alphabet trip too. Nice blog and very inspiring too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish to experience the midnight sun too in Norway! My tita took some photographs during her vacation and I so lovvvve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sayang there's no kayaking photo! I'm so jealous, I really wanna explore Hawaii. We visited the state for a connecting flight lang last year :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grabe,I'm enjoying this. Ikaw na sis, ikaw na ang jetsetter! Seriously, I love looking at the world through your eyes. I can't wait for the rest of the letters.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT sites!
    You almost took a
    TRIP AROUND the WORLD.
    I wonder if you still have time
    to get a night sleep on
    your own bed at home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alphabetravelogue... very nice, very interesting, and very informative...

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this very nice idea dear!! should make one soon as well!! it sounds fun and nice really reading them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice2.. I think I should travel more

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... I wish I could travel just like you!!! I am most intrigued by the midnight sun! That must be really spectacular! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What more can I say? You look you had fun in those photos. Looking forward for more posts about fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. daming napuntahan ,kakainggit .ako sa Pinas ,iilang pa lang napuntahan kong lugar

    ReplyDelete
  21. About time to create my very own version of summer alphabet too! ^_^ As always I am so inspired with all your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you describe your adventures using the english alphabet. Looking forward to PQRST. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mark. here's the link for PQRST hehe --http://www.mycomingsandgoings.com/2012/04/travel-memories-part-iv-fun-in-sun-from.html#axzz1t8gCc48I

      Delete
  23. wow!ang dami mo ng napuntahang lugar...I hope that I can do the same... =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sobrang well travelled ka ... ako magsisimula pa lang. Inspiring sobra.

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello ma'am mhe-anne.

    you are the real jet setter! i'd like to assume that you are already the master of managing your luggage well. it's nice to know you also have time for beautiful travels. :)

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. with all the places you visit nakakainggit :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. great fun in the Sun Mhe-anne! I wish I could also travel to those places. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney