Thursday, April 19, 2012

Travel Memories (Part I): Fun In The Sun From A to E...

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda

Summer months could mean differently depending on locations. For example,  summer in  Australia and countries in the southern hemisphere (south of the Equator)  is from December to February; here in the Philippines, summer is from late March til May while  in the United States and the rest of the northern hemisphere it is from late June to August
Despite the differing times, Summer has a universal appeal - it means longer days, more sunlightwarm temperatures, and varied opportunities for having FUN IN THE SUN -being outdoor!  
Through appropriate planning, a traveler can actually enjoy A Loooong Summer, yea  as long as eight (8) months from December to August!  Well, that is if you quit your job for full time traveling, and be in the right place at the right time. I didn't have that luxury, but for having traveled for more than a decade now, I have a  collection of favorite, fun summer activities from A to Z that I was privileged to taste as I travel around countries... 

Here's my list from A to E...

A- Aspen Summer Culture Immersion

Summer means spending more time outdoors and nowhere, does it more culturally sensible than in Aspen,Colorado (USA). I was immersed in plenty of ways to take in little culture -from doing a picnic at the listening lawn during the annual Aspen Music Festival, to learning more about contemporary arts through the rotating exhibits at the Aspen Arts Museum and finally getting awed by the John Denver's Sanctuary, which is my so-called "Songhits on the Rocks"! But Aspen still has a lot more to offer than my time can afford and get cultured! 
B - Blueberries Picking in Ackerson, Sweden

Summer is also known as the Berry Harvest Season in Sweden since swedish mountains yield delicious wild berries from July to September. Picking wild blueberries in the mountain of Ackersjon is one of my unforgettable summer activities, that was both fun, and oh! delicious!

C Cruise Vacation in Northern Euope 


As a water enthusiast but not- so- fond of cold water, I prefer Cruise vacation in Northern Europe in the summer (although more costly), since temperatures are warm for swimming. Also, with sunny sky and warm temperature, there is so much more exciting wildlife and vibrant surroundings to feast on without freezing cold out in the deck while aboard the Silja Serenade, European's 6th largest passenger cruise ship.  Well, I surely can't afford even a low season return tickets Stockholm-Helsinki-Stockholm in the winter, but having a generous friend means having my dream come true - a summer cruise vacation

D – Diving (SCUBA) in Boracay
Diving with Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus (SCUBA) for pure enjoyment (or recreational diving) has been one of my favorite summer activities since I first tried it six years ago in Boracay. Wearing (and looking better in)  a wet suit (lol) is one of the reasons I love scuba diving over free diving. Nah, it is really because I don't like cold water! And since there are tons of dive spots around the more than 7000 islands of the Philippines, summer is officially my dive time! 

E – Easter Fun with the Family

In the Philippines, Easter Sunday always happen in the summer, that's why many of my happy memories in celebrating this joyous season involve my family and our summer activities in the beach, at a campsite, at a resort or even at home (during the Holy Week which is a holiday in the Philippines), then in the Easter morning we teach the kids the connection between the traditional egg hunting and egg painting  and the true meaning of the celebration -  the triumph over death of our Savior Jesus Christ!

Click here for Part II - Fun In The Sun From F to J...

25 comments:

  1. Ikaw na atty! Your ABCDE is fun-filled. It is more of the things you have to do for an adventure and not seeing the place itself. Wow. Summer adventure fun nga talaga! Good compilation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Edmar for this comment! I like your ABCDE thingy so use the word in my next post for FGHIJ..

      Delete
  2. wow, your summers are well planned ha! Ako naman, bahala na attitude which is consistent with my landbound character. It's actually a small miracle that I get to go anywhere outside my province :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've not been to as many places as you have to fill entries from A to Z! For this set, I'd love to do B. I love the jam, but haven't tried the actual fruit. And I'd love to visit Sweden! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atty around the world!ganda ng compilation ng summer get away,,,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are so well-traveled sis! :D Wish I can visit these places within my lifetime. It's one of my dreams to see what the world can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! napakasarap na summer!
    I wanted to try Diving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Miss Meh-Ann! Kadamu gid!You are so lucky ang dami mo pong time at pera at good health ka! The Triangle of travel:-) I wish I could travel again and have fun in the sun of Basilan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ganda nang gawa mo!! amazing na A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!You seem to have around the world and back! Wish I could go traveling that way as well. Anyway, nice post! Will definitely check it out the rest of your ABC's of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your post is both entertaining and inspiring. Wish I can visit those places,too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're literally all over the world. I envy your escapades as I haven't yet seen the entire world. Good luck to your next expedition and please keep your photos coming. I appreciate them cuz it feels like I'm part of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talbog ang post ko :) yong sa akin pang local lang nung nabasa ko sayo nahiya ako

    I do travel din naman outside the country and had a lot of experience pero what I have in mind is to promote my city especially we just suffered losses. Maybe in my next post I will consider looking the theme of my article at least at the national level...I've never been to a cruise but my partner and I has a plan soon we will go cruisin' with Oasis of the Seas...

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I envy you for the luxury of being able to travel whenever you wanted! Anyway, just these past 2 weeks, I enjoyed a summer getaway with my family here in Laguna and in the surrounding provinces. Got my firsts at Nuvali (fantastic for family picnic!) and Tagaytay (Love the coolness of the place even in summertime). Looking forward to seeing more of your getaways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I envy you for having the luxury of travel in different places! Speaking of summer, I just spent my summer with my family last 2 weeks ago. A family picnic at Nuvali to some sight-seeing at Tagaytay, all of us had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I envy you for having the luxury of travel in different places! Speaking of summer, I just spent my summer with my family last 2 weeks ago. A family picnic at Nuvali to some sight-seeing at Tagaytay, all of us had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's great, you got to travel to different awesome places. And that blueberry picking farm's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, here's another reason to dream of being filthy rich someday. Here's the perfect plan: spend eight months of summer then go back to the Philippines for the four-month Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you gave me an idea too, so that makes two of us! our only problem is when to actually see that dream come into fruition hahaha..

      Delete
  18. You certainly know how to make the most of your summer! I miss easter egg hunting for kids lang kasi =(

    ReplyDelete
  19. this post makes me think of quitting my present job and go travel! uhmmmp and become a full time travel blogger.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. you have absolutely nice ideas on how to spend the summer!
    the only idea of summer i really have is taking a break because i'm still a student so options like going to the beach is, at most, the best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! I have a lot-hate relationship with Summer. Good thing, here is still cool in the morning despite of the 30C temperature during midnoon. Wish I could spend the summer in the Philippines again (minus the exhilarating init)

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney