Monday, April 16, 2012

"START BEING" Monday Series: OPTIMISTIC

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


OPTIMISTIC.(being hopeful, positive and able to see the glass half - full instead of half-empty). I know that this is better said than done esp. in the midst of a discouraging time in life as when we feel brokenhearted with a loss of a loved one. But I find a sure hope in the healing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ that can remove pains, however extreme! As I sing my favorite Church Hymn entitled "Count Your Blessing", I can focus on the good things in my life that helps me take my mind off the negatives and have a better frame of mind - to move on, knowing that my "future is filled with opportunity and gladness". 
*(highlighted is from words of President Gordon B. Hinckley in the book My Dear Sisters) 


 
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS(Hymn 241) 

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
[Chorus]
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See what God hath done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings;
See what God hath done.

          2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.
4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,

Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
(Text: Johnson Oatman, Jr., 1856–1922, Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851–1921)
*This is part of a series of 2012 Monday post inspired by Leigh Anne Jasheway-Bryant's Stop DoingStart Being article on Family Circle Magazine April 1, 2005 issue. What she said about having so many "to-do" list and trying hard everyday to check off the list hit so close to home! I agree with her that what I need is a list to help me be who I want to be, both for myself and others. Click on START BEING Monday Series to see other list of cool virtues we could emulate!

16 comments:

  1. ..being such depressed lately, i found this post well-suited for me..thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad it did help you Doc Gagay.i'm still going through a tough time thinking all is lost but when i sing this song it really did surprised me how I've been blessed all these years when we were still together!

      Delete
  2. I am an optimist despite that everyday I feel like committing suicide due to my weird condition. =(

    Thanks for the leg up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not inviting negativism in your thoughts is a huge part of being an optimist!!

      Delete
  3. this is very inspiring! yeah, kahit sablay na, dapat optimistic pa rin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm optimistic, but sometimes I couldn't resist to be the otherwise. I'm afraid I couldn't achieve what I'm planning to attain. Sometimes. I'm discouraged. But with this song, especially these lines: "So amid the conflict, whether great or small, Do not be discouraged; God is over all. Count your many blessings; angels will attend, Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end."
    This is one of my favorite Church hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Optimism, I gotta follow your example of starting off :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. optimism must be practiced by many...

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the uplifting message you shared in this post :) God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post! It is a good reminder that nothing is impossible as long as we have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post...reminds me that one should never lose hope and that despair is a sin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the tendency to be pessimistic but I also try my best to fight against it and do the other way. Often times, I have this battle within but in times like this, I also try to count my blessings so I'll feel better and see the brighter side of "the not so good" situation. Right now my testimony would be: When you leave it all to God...nothing can go wrong."

    ReplyDelete
  11. great way to start the week: with optimism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im trying my best to be optimistic and to be more appreciative in what I have and it somehow helps me change for the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heard the hymn when I was still in another church. Even though I'm at a new church, I can still remember the song and its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is definitely better to be optimistic.

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney