Friday, February 3, 2012

UK Winter 2012: York, England

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
Welcome to another historic city dating back 71 AD when the Romans founded and named it "EBORACUM" - the ancient City of York in England (United Kingdom) 
Historic feel begins as soon as you enter its medieval gates called "bars" leading to the finest and most complete original city walls that are beautifully preserved to this day.  Within its two-mile walls, you can feast on stunning architecture and attractions renowned for its Roman, Viking, and Medieval heritage.
So depending on whether you've got an hour or a whole day to spare, there is a wide array of things to do and places to see in York.  I was happy that my host Steve Grice brought me in this "walled city" of England  last February 1, 2012 and allowed me to do m TAKE 4 during the three -hour visit!
Take tour of the iconic York Minster, the  largest Gothic cathedral in Northern Europe. For an entry fee of 9 pounds (Php 611.oo) you can find access to its Undercroft, Treasury and Crypt where you can find traces of the Roman headquarters where Constantine was proclaimed Emperor
Then add another 5.5 pounds (Php 373.00) plus energy, to climb the 275 steps of the Minster's Central Tower for the best panoramic view and wonderful photo opportunity of this historic city and its countryside. 

Account the many locations where the ghost walks and tours would take you if you decide to stay in York at night and want a spine - tingling experience that will haunt you forever! 
With a city as old as York, it is home to many spooky experiences. But since we were there in the early afternoon, I just took note of the places which we went to that are normally part of the ghost tours like the Castle Tower, Kings Arms Pub by the river, York Minster, Stonegate's old passageways (snickleways) and famed, old medieval buildings! 
Know the stories of previous generations by exploring the interiors at JORVIK Viking Centre, the very site of  the most famous and astounding discoveries of the Viking-Age city of Jorvik, as it stood 1,000 years ago. Over 800 extraordinary archeological  discoveries can be seen inside the centre, which has  been recreated as authentically as possible the famous JORVIK Vikings
Also , let the tram takes you around the Viking city with its houses, the working craftsmen, the language of the gossiping neighbors, the smells of cooking and the cesspit. At the end of the tram tour, you can view the exhibits and meet some Viking descendants and have a coin made!
Enjoy panoramic views while learning a bit of history from the Clifford's Tower, a proud symbol of the power of England's medieval kings and played a crucial role in the control of northern England. Originally built by William the Conqueror, the  tower takes its name from Roger de Clifford who was executed for treason against Edward II and hanged in chains from the tower walls. 



4 places worth checking out but we didn't have time includes York Castle Museum,  National Rail Way Museum, York Dungeon and scenic cruise along River Ouse.

32 comments:

  1. Wow talagang super enjoy kayo sa England :D I'm looking forward to exploring more places pagbalik ko :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow I want to travel to those places too. lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. Just the other day, meron ka rin atang post about your travel sa NY.. ngayon England naman. Isa sa dream destination ko... I love that place... I love the people.. and you gotta loooove the accent. haha!

    Inggit mode na lang ako lagi. oh well.. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Mica! i was glad that I was able to maximize my 5-day visit in England. this of course was thru the help of my hosts - Cath Iblan in London and my nephew's family in Humberside. You should take me when you get back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey ArjAngel. I am grateful for generous friends and family who made my travels possible. @ Leah dear, yea i stay in NY every 3 months so during my winter visit Dec to Jan, I had a side trip in England visiting London, York, Lincoln and Humberside/Hull. I'm sure you will be able to travel to those places too. Happy travels

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the most traveled person like you, you deserve to be recognized for your efforts in traveling those places with historical significance, with rich in cultural heritage, and many more. I'm very envious of such hobby of yours. I also want to go tour those places you've visited, but financially I'm constrained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. every time i open this blog, i am getting envious with those travels..how i wish i could travel to Europe too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gothic cathedral! Aww I am so envious :) You really see the whole wide WORLD na :) So great! Seize every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spooky town is my kind of town! Would be nice to go ghost-stalking here. :) And that Gothic cathedral is just gorgeous. I'd wanna climb its steeple too and also go down its crypt. The highs and lows of Goth. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive been to York. What I like the most with York is it is very similar with Lincoln where I spent most of my holiday in the UK. I feel so at home when Im in York! Such a lovely place to visit again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for touring us to York. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. very beautiful place. the viking centre looks inviting too. :>

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are a well travelled lady. Your photos and experiences really are worth keeping and remembering

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh England! I think i should follow this blog nah :).. nice posts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. winter!! I always go to places during summer kasi mahina ako sa lamig.. haha.. :)) even in Baguio pag nag below 10 degrees di na ako mapakali.. hehe. Hope to visit England soon during summer..! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *Sniff* Jealous and in awe of all the places you've been to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gil, just having you say that is enough honor for me! i love to travel and i'm grateful for generous family and friends who made this all possible. @ Gagay, thanks for checking my blog. I have the same wish for you - whatever we desire, it will come true when we are persistent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A big wow for travelers and for travel blogs. I really envy you guys for having these opportunities. Would love to visit the place if given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you really traveled UK and make most of it

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you really had a great time there. I wish I can visit this place too someday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope to see you on the road too. I look up to those people who are well travelled like you !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love England <3 Looks you enjoyed your adventure! Haha Hope I could explore around the world but it feels you just brought me there because of this post. Thanks! Btw i followed you on GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The weather looks fine. I am sure I will enjoy my travel with that awesome weather. The places look so cool. You're so lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. England is one of the places that I would like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. that's a very nice tour of the place... it was like physically being there...

    ReplyDelete
  26. England is one of the places I dream to visit! Envy much.

    ReplyDelete
  27. kelan kaya ako makakapunta dyan?

    Thanks for sharing your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  28. brrrr!!!
    super cold out there. it looks like there's no way that the snow will leave that place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been there but I don't have picture of myself. :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, I envy for you for being able to travel to a lot of places! :D I hope I can visit England too in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney