Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Travel Dapitan 2012: Siblings Bonding and Debate Over Billiards...?

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
Pool or Pocket Billiard, Sport or Not?

Pool or Pocket Billiard is a kind of billiard which is played on tables with 6 pockets, a cue stick, cue ball and 15 object balls. The goal is simple - player take turns getting the 15 object balls (starting from 1 to 15) into the pocket, by hitting the cue ball (white ball) with the cue stick. 
Part of the exhibit inside the British Museum in London (England) 

There's so much debate about pocket billiards being considered a SPORT, not so much because of physical exertion but mainly due to the mental concentration it takes to play. The debate is heightened now that the 2012 Olympics in London, England is all set for its opening ceremonies on July 27, 2012. Will the Pool make waves in the 30th Olympiad? What's your bet?

Part of  British Museum Exhibit during my visit Feb.2, 2012
Glad there is no heated debate like that when my two brothers and I decided to play Pocket Billiard at Gloria Fantasyland in Dapitan City, Zamboanga del Norte last March 6, 2012. In fact, the decision was prompted by necessity!


After visiting all the six ( 6) sites featured in the Lakbay Jose Rizal @150 Heritage Trail, we were back at the Jose Rizal Memorial University campus at 6pm. The guest house inside the campus was our accommodation for the night (since none of the inns/resorts we texted replied to our inquiry on available rooms!). It safe (being fully guarded and many students stay in the campus) and cheap too at Php 200 per person! With that price comes an airconditioned room, three small beds, no hot and cold shower, no towel and no TV! Without saying a word, my brothers and I agreed it was boring to be home that early haha! 
We decided to head to Gloria De Dapitan, a world - class commercial center along Dapitan's Boulevard, which is open until 12midnight. With only a couple of hours to spend (since it was already 8pm and our curfew was 10pm!), we planned on a 30-minute of pocket billiards (Php 35), 1-hour of bowling (Php 100) and 30- minute dinner.    
We ended up playing three (3) rounds of pocket billiards for an hour (Php 70), didn't have time for any bowling and had a good meal debating over who is going to pay the meal - the winner or the loser! haha.(Note: First round: Mike-Joel-Mhe-anne; Second round: Joel-Mhe-anne-Mike and Third round: Mike-Mhe-anne-Joel!). I actually paid the meal, but not sure if I did so as a winner or loser haha. (What do you think?)   
Yes, I have picked up a cue stick before with friends and had fun with it. But playing pocket billiards with my brothers was even more fun since it is less competitive (and we know how to tease!). So whether pocket billiards is a sport or not, it doesn't really matter. All we know is that, playing pocket billiards was the best and the cheapest bonding moment I had with my siblings while in Dapitan! And that's non-debatable! 

11 comments:

  1. I am bad at billiards, but I get lucky sometimes. Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha..well, skill not needed.just have fun playing it Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe sports could be a better bonding among the members of the family. I know it's a wholesome kind of activities. There's a competition, but a very challenging one and no, I believe cheating will take place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive tried billiards once, but im no good with it. just wondering now how's efren bata reyes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww.. that's nice. Bonding moment with he siblings over billiards. XD

    Naalala ko dati nung college ako. We skipped class just to play the game. Haha! Puro kalokohan.. It really is an easy and fun sport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Billiards? No no t my thing but tried plenty of times already but were all failures :((

    ReplyDelete
  7. i and my brother used to play billiards to before..but those were decades ago already.hahaha..this post just remind me of those days.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't know how to play billiards. Haha! It seems interesting though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. all of my friends knows how to play it but me I don't know why I can't learn it lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. all of my friends knows how to play it but me I don't know why I can't learn it lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post makes me miss the times when me and my college friends would often go for billiards. Nice post! ;)

    www.iamaileen.com

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney