Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday Thoughts: Historic Palmyra, Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
Hill Cumorah, 653 State Route 21,Palmyra, NY 14522

My lesson in Sunday School about the Holy Bible and Book of Mormon "growing together" has brought back memories of my trip in Palmyra last summer. 


Smith Farm & Log House, 843 Stafford Road,Palmyra, NY 14522

Palmyra is just a quiet little village in upstate New York yet it is a magnet for many visitors, because of the places which relate to both The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and American history. Many sites were preserved or reconstructed by the LDS Church which are available for free tours (with guides or self - guided) all year-round. 


Sacred Grove, 843 Stafford Road,Palmyra, New York 14522

I was happy to visit the Smith farm and reconstructed Smith family log house, Sacred Grove and Hill Cumorah, places where the prophet Joseph Smith  has lived and received the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. 


This log house is a representation of what the Smith family home looked like in the 1800s. It was in this log house that Joseph Smith lived as a young boy, before the Smith family built a larger frame home nearby. 



(1) In 1820, Joseph Smith who was then a 14-year-old boy  has read James 1: 5 in the Holy Bible that motivated him to seek wisdom on his standing before God and which Christian religion he should join.He went to the woods near his home to pray.


(2) Joseph found a quiet spot in a grove of trees and prayed and saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, in vision. The Lord told Joseph not to join any of the churches because none of them were true, but he was promised "that the fullness of the Gospel should at some future time be made known unto him".



(3) On 21 September 1823, Joseph was praying when light filled the attic bedroom and angel Moroni appeared. Moroni told Joseph about writings by some ancient prophets engraven on gold plates which was buried on a nearby hill. He was directed to receive golden plates at some future time.




(4) Finally, on 22 September 1827, Joseph was entrusted with the plates, lifting them from the stone box buried under a large stone on Hill Cumorah. Joseph Smith was directed to translate the ancient writings and later printed at the Grandin Building.


The trip gave me a greater appreciation for the Book of Mormon and a stronger confirmation that it is true. Like the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon testifies of Jesus Christ and draws us closer to God as we read it daily.


"Feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do" (2 Nephi 32:3). 



31 comments:

  1. To see is to believe <3 Or Believing is seeing. Whichever applies to you your faith is the most important thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This place is amazing. I hope makapag abroad din ako. hehe. Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the log house looks very homey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's reaaly something about log houses. May look creepy but at the same time, so homey and serene. Whatever it is, I'm happy for you mam, that you get the privilege to go to places :)

    Ingat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nakakatuwa mga lugar na pinupuntahan mo. Kakaiba e.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ang ganda ng log house -- homey and relaxing. ideal for reflections. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I see log houses, I think about the houses in the RE4 game. haha.. But that's just me, so...

    I think this is a great place to visit when one's in NY. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very enriching experience! It's a blessing that you were able to go there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome place. It feels like a good place to reflect and be thankful for each day that comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The log house looks so comfy and at the same time peaceful. I'm sure it's a great experience to be there. =) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw a similar house here in the Philippines but it's in the province.
    I want to build a log house someday :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a farm girl at heart, farm tours are always a hit for me. Your post is a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a historic and a sacred place as well..kakainggit mga trips mo sis.. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like log house. I like house that is made of wood. It seems like nice and peaceful to leave there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, what you've seen and what you've felt deep inside your heart about The Book of Mormon is true and I do testify it. I've strong faith about it. I've been converted with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 32 years. Those places you've personally visited and those houses, especially the another new testament of Jesus Christ, which is The Book of Mormon, are all connected with Joseph Smith, the restoration prophet of this dispensation of times. I know you've been blessed for such a visit you've made. As I see the pictures one by one, I became emotional and carried away with spiritual gratefulness I've had with Joseph Smith, that without his instrumentality, the true Church of Jesus Christ has not been restored and existed as of this writing. I'm very happy for this blog I read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ang nice naman nung house. you've been so many places na. =) sana makapag rtw din ako.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your story about Joseph Smith and the Lord .The book of Mormon is a book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks @Yani, @Ness, @Athena, @Paliits for the comments.the log house is homey and serene. but looking back when 11 people were staying there, the house seems very simple and small. I was happy to be there and see it for myself. My faith which is to hope for things not seen but true just got strengthened.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks @Kathy, @Lovette, @ Irene and @Leah. I feel blessed to have wonderful friends and family whose generosity allowed me to see places!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks @Didi, @Cheska, @Veronica, @Hazel, @Jenny, @ Gagay.homey,great for reflections,serene, sacred,historic,nice and peaceful are all fitting descriptions of this charming place!but the actual place where i reflected was at the sacred grove! it was so wonderful to be there! i could feel how young boy Joseph felt getting over the forces of evil and seeing Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow Gil! You are an LDS!! it is a pleasant surprise. but glad there is a strong member in the blogsphere. what ward? I've been a member for 25 years by April 11.I am so happy to actually see LDS Historic Sites and i'm thinking of puttinga page of it in my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Michi I'm sure you'll be able to do RTW.continue to desire it and it will happen. i still have lots of places i want to go! @Vonn thanks.cabin are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was suddenly intrigued by the story of Mr. Smith. The log house looked lovely, wish I can see that too, as it is magkakasya na lang ako sa pagtingin ng photos mo.:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tess, I have been reading the Book of Mormon since I was 12 and seeing where it was found and first published just confirmed my testimony that it is true. I get closer to God knowing how the Book of Mormon serves as another witness of Jesus Christ and His divinity. you can click the click on Book of Mormon to read the book! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. hello there www.mycomingsandgoings.com owner discovered your site via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://xrumerservice.org they claim they managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective backlinks Take care. Jason

    ReplyDelete
  26. that place looks solemn and peacceful. good place to pray and meditate

    ReplyDelete
  27. The place reminds me of staying in the province but without the loghouse. I hope I could build one in my lifetime. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! ang ganda naman ng lugar na yan..I hope someday,I can travel there also....=)

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney