Tuesday, January 17, 2012

US Roadtrip 2012: Gettysburg, PA

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda
1"Four score and seven years ago
 our fathers brought forth on this continent,
a new nation, conceived in Liberty,
and dedicated to the proposition
that all men are created equal...
Gettysburg is just a borough in Pennsylvania, USA and yet it is a household word for many around the world even in the Philippines.  Thanks to the most famous speech by US President Abraham Lincoln delivered during the  American Civil War, on the afternoon of Thursday, November 19, 1863 which we know as the Gettysburg Address
Now we are engaged in a great civil war,
testing whether that nation,
or any nation so conceived
and so dedicated, can long endure...
So when my prince announced we were going on a road trip to this historic place,  it has sparked back my interest  in history (I was a history professor before becoming a lawyer) and prepared my TAKE 4 to maximize our four(4) hours stay in Gettysburg last January 16, 2012. 
We are met on a great battle-field of that war.
We have come to dedicate a portion of that field,
as a final resting place for those who here
 gave their lives that that nation might live.
It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this
...
   
Tour the Gettysburg National Military Park by heading first to the  National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center located at 1195 Baltimore Pike. 


Within its 22,000 square feet space is an inter-active exhibits, and multi-media presentations that describe the Battle of Gettysburg and its terrible aftermath. The museum is open daily and has lots of information on how to visit the park and what to see around Gettysburg so don't forget to pick up a free auto tour map
But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- 

we can not consecrate -- 

we can not hallow -- this ground. 

The brave men, living and dead, 

who struggled here, have consecrated it, 

far above our poor power to add or detract...
Acclaim the speech of President Abraham Lincoln which was delivered in ten minutes and significantly recounted the foundation of democracy as "the government of the people, by the people, for the people" .  


5 The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced.  

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- 
Kick-start the Self-guided Auto Tour at the Soldiers' National Cemetery to remember those who gave all in Gettysburg. Then drive our own car, stopping at our convenience at designated areas along the battlefield.  


that we here highly resolve that these dead 
shall not have died in vain --
that this nation, under God, 

shall have a new birth of freedom --

and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."   





Enjoy the orchards and the charming small towns that speak so much about history, devotion and sacrifice!

15 comments:

  1. Hello! It looks like you are having so much fun with your travels! Wow! You're lucky, aren't you?

    Haven't been to the USA but will definitely get there one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so lucky to visit a historical place like Gettysburg...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so well-traveled!!! My friend went there 1st quarter of the year and even saw the a reenactment! I'd love to go tooooooo!

    BTW, I've tagged you in my latest post - LIEBSTER AWARD, please check it out and hope you'll accept! Thanks!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to the US yet, but I'd love to step foot on such a historic place.. :) I hope I can be a well-traveled lady like you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember during my college days that Abbey's famous speech of grave dedication, popularly known as "Gettysburg Address" was one of the best speeches required in our spoken English subject. It is effectively written. It serves as a model for a good or even best written speech ever. I love this kind of speech. I've used this as my guide in writing. Thanks for sharing and for your wonderful trip in this such memorable, historical place, Gettysburg, PA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello dear! As always, another travel destination that I hope to visit someday. Should I apply again, and should I be finally given a US visa, I'll make sure to do a side trip here.. =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope to visit the US soon!!! actually I'm supposed to be there a few years ago nag backout lang.. hihi..My bf is also from the US but I want us to settle here in the Philippines for good.. still negotiating about it though.. hehe ;) Can't wait to explore US!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems you both enjoyed your road trip, never been there (US). We also love visiting historical places :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kinda near to my place, but I havent been there. Cool. I wana visit the museum and have an artful experience. yey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. waaaaaaaah! nakakainggit naman ang trip nato!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the Gettysburg address?? hehehe!

    i hope to be as well-traveled as you. you're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Atty! ang sweet naman ng Prince mo to take you on road trips ;)

    thanks for sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice!
    I learned a lot just by reading through this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so love your pictures at this historical place! I hope to visit Gettysburg in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What do you really mean with your first sentence "Gettysburg is just a borough in Pennsylvania, USA and yet it is a household word for many around the world even in the Philippines"?

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney