Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jose Rizal At 150 Heritage Trail: First National Hero's Monument In Daet, Camarines Norte! !

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Date: November 2, 2011
Location: Justo Lucban Streets, Daet, Camarines Norte
Rizal @ 150 Passport Stamp: No. 16 - First Rizal Monument



The long weekend was an opportunity to pick up on my Lakbay Jose Rizal 150 Heritage Trail through a road trip with my family last October 31-November 2, 2012. Our destination? my parents hometown Daet, Camarines Norte to see the "First Rizal Monument" in the Philippines!

Located across the Daet Heritage Center, we easily found a white three-tiered 15-feet stone pylon monument with the words 'A Jose Rizal' (To Jose Rizal).Noticeably though, this monument has no sculptured image of our national hero unlike many monuments I have seen in his honor. Instead, the top most triangle has a five - pointed star and atop it is a sun with eight rays (not seen on this picture).

Based on the small black metal marker installed by the National Historical Commission in 1961, the erection of this Rizal monument is "through the voluntary contributions of the people of Camarines Norte led by Lt. Colonels Antonio Sanz and Ildefonso Alegre of the Revolutionary Army".

I have never felt so proud of my hometown after reading the marker! Not only it is home to the first historical landmark unveiled on December 30, 1898, only two years after the martyrdom of our national hero, but CamNorte also holds the title of being the first town to celebrate Rizal Day.

Inscribed on the other square podiums are three of Dr. Jose Rizal’s popular novels — ”Noli Me Tangere” (1887), “Morga” (1889) which is said to be a tribute to Spanish colonization historian Antonio de Morga and “El Filibusterismo” (1891).

I'm glad I have invited my parents to join me in my Lakbay Jose Rizal Heritage Trail. Looks like my parents might be back to their hometown every December 30 to join in the celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney