Friday, July 29, 2011

US Summer 2011: Rock Climbing In Castle Rock, Colorado!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda



Date: July 15, 2011
Location: Castle Rock,Colorado

No one knows rock climbing better than the residents of Colorado being located in the based of the majestic Rocky Mountains. So as a first timer in Colorado,USA,my must-do list includes trying out this demanding sport. My goal is to climb up at least one of the natural rock formations that abounds in this vibrant, mountainous US State.



Considered it done when I saw this castle tower-shaped butte called Rock Park, just a stones' throw - away from the home of my friend Tess and Justin Bridgman,my host for a couple of days while in Castle Rock, Colorado.



Based on this marker at the entrance to Rock Park, I learned that this historic landmark was the inspiration behind the naming of the Town of Castle Rock. The rock is shaped like a castle tower and is centrally located in the town center.



Rock Park has two trails - Summit Trail and Perimeter Trail which is generally considered as difficult. Equipped with water and chocolate bar in my backpack, our goal is to ascend through the single-tracked Summit Trail and then on descent, go along the Perimeter Trail.



And so we went - Justin,Tess, Oliver (their dog!) and me (the wanna be rock climber on another journey to gutsiness!!)



After a mile of uneven terrain hike, we reached the first base which afforded me panoramic view of Downtown Castle Rock. But my goal is to reach the star! I mean the huge star famous for the Castle Rock's annual starlighting ceremony since 1935.



So with Justin, I decided to climb more. Really gutsy huh! It was rocky and steep climb and there were times I almost gave up. But I kept pushing on (huh sounds like Miley Cyrus!). After a few minutes, I saw the US flag near the star backbone. I knew I reached the peak!



The breathtaking, panoramic views of the Downtown, I-25 corridor, Pikes Peak and the Front Range was all worth it!


(This is part of the 5-week US Summer Vacation series, which took place from June 30, 2011 to August 3,2011

For other US Summer 2011 post please click:
US Travel Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney