Scripture Block:Matthew 21-23; John 12;1-8
Lesson I learned: There are many kinds/forms of "hypocrites" ( people who try to appear righteous but who do not try to live righteously) and I should avoid hypocrisy in any form and strengthen my commitment to Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ condemns the sin of hypocrisy illustrated by the following examples:
1. tap water and distilled water - (object lesson) - one is medically pure but the other is chemically pure
2. Judas Iscariot - he criticizes Mary's action of anointing Jesus Christ with spikenard in abundance saying it should have been given to the poor ( he is actually not being righteoous in his heart but only concerned with the money)
3. money changers at the temple - going to a holy place for commercial purposes and not for worship
4. husbandmen in the Parable of the householder (promise to take care of the household - representing by the Jewish religious leaders of Jesus' days who does not "walk the talk"
5. second son in the Parable of the Son (said "yes" but "did not" do it) - representing the chief priest and elders who claimed to follow God, but rejected John's teaching and rejected Jesus even after they saw him in person
6. Herodians - tried to trap Jesus by asking the question "should we give tribute unto Caesar)
7. Sadducees -pretended to be concerned about marriage in the resurrection,but they did not believe in the resurrection
8. Pharisees and scribes - paid a great deal of attention to outward ordinances and actions that would make them appear righteous, but they were not as concerned with actually being righteous in their hearts
9. Fig tree - having leaves, it was deceptively barren.its utter barrenness coupled with abundance of foliage made of it a type of human hypocrisy.
10. praise seekers (John 12:42-43)- many people who believe in Jesus who would not admit to their belief because "they loved the praise of men more than praise of God"