Wednesday, April 20, 2011

2011 Holy Week in Bicol: Day 2 - Beach Hopping and Birthday...

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda



Today is beach hopping as part of my gift to my nephew James who turned 10 yesterday! We went first to Mantigbi Beach which is only max of 10 minutes drive from home!



Well,I have never thought we have a beach nearby! I lived in my hometown Vinzons, Camarines Norte, until I was 9,and always try to come back at least once a year (with last year making there four times to attend family gatherings!). Still no one mentioned Mantigbi Beach until yesterday. Can't blame anyone. Only recently that tourism development is focused on this sun drenched beach.



With the construction of the roads leading to the beach and a few shades/cottages built, Mantigbi Beach is good enough to soak in to ease out the summer heat without spending a peso when you are already in Vinzons. For my family,it means being there daily during our stay in our hometown, enjoying the breeze, the wind and the sun without any cost!

With Mantigbi Beach' strong winds and waves and a few more development in the area, this beach could easily be a kite surfer's spot in a few years like our next stop - the Bagasbas Beach!



Bagasbas Beach in Daet,Camarines Norte is about 30 minutes drive from Mantigbi Beach.

I have frequented this beach when I was young,and always make sure to visit when I'm in town anyway it doesn't cost a thing to dip in the water. Now that Bagasbas Beach is being promoted as the Philippines kiteboarding/kitesurfing spot, there are resorts and cottages built around the area. Nothing fancy yet though, cottages fronting the beach is peg at Php 200.

Kitesurfing or Kiteboarding (according to Wiki)is an adventure surface water sport that harnesses the power of the wind to propel a rider across the water on a small surfboard or a kiteboard (similar to a wakeboard).



We arrived in Bagasbas Beach at 4pm, and experienced its strong winds and current. As a swimmer (who can't stand getting cold haha), such windy day is not a welcome thing. But oh well,I enjoyed,nevertheless, watching kitesurfing for real. Yea, my first time!!

I first heard the word kitesurfing from my recent couch surfer guest, Sascha from Germany. He is a kitesurfing instructor and has been doing lessons in Boracay. I will definitely bring him in Bagasbas Beach when he returns in October.



Back to our birthday boy James. Looked like he didn't mind the winds and the waves. He had fun in the water before and after his mini birthday bash.He will hop on to the next beaches tomorrow and Friday while my brother and I hop on to Calaguas Islands!

1 comment:

  1. Nice find! So many beaches so little time :) Belated happy birthday James :)

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney