Friday, October 22, 2010

Kota Kinabalu's State and City Mosques: Architectural Masterpieces

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda

I am always fascinated with mosques and so I always try to visit one if there are mosques in the country I am visiting.

Mosque is a place of worship for followers of Islam. It serves as a place where Muslims can come together for prayer as well as a center for information, education, and dispute settlement.

Since Kota Kinabalu is predominantly a Muslim population,I searched for mosques and found two to visit - the State Mosque and the City Mosque. But I have not read this warning before going there...hahaha "If you are not a Muslim, avoid visiting the mosque on Fridays, as this is the day of prayer for Muslims".

We visited the State Mosque today (Friday, October 22, 2010) and found ourselves in a huge traffic jam! That explains why I am not in this picture as I took it from the comfort of Chel's car!
The State Mosque is centrally located at Jalan Tunku Abdul Raman and truly is a masterpiece of architecture! Its walls are dove-grey and domes glitter with gold inlay. Up to 5000 worshippers can be inside at one time.

The second main mosque in the city is the Kota Kinabalu City Mosque at Likas Bay, which is around Chel's neighborhood. I visited it yesterday. It is another impressive example of a marvelous architecture with its blue domes and floating above the water because of the man-made lagoon around it.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog by accident. How do you get around so much? My blog --- www.youthfulagain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney