Friday, August 20, 2010

Hometowns Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur: Rice Paddies and More!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Along with the popularity (created largely by dethronement a few weeks after grand coronation) of Philippine's bet to the Miss Universe 2010 Beauty Pageant,Maria Venus Raj, came the sudden rise and awareness about farms and about her hometown - Bato, Camarines Sur where she was said to have learned the catwalk on the rice paddies. More and more tourists want to experience walking on rice paddies like Venus to see if they are also " beauty queen material" haha. Seriously, as farm life becoming an appealing option for travelers nowadays (to find some peace and quiet, a rather scarce commodity for those in the city), my two hometowns Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur are getting noticed.


Camarines Norte is a province in the northwestern coast of the Bicol Peninsula. It is about eight hours drive from Manila through lush forests and picturesque seascapes of Quezon Province. I lived in Mangcawayan,Vinzons, Camarines Norte until I was 9 years old so I have seen and walked on rice paddies myself. During recent years I have been back there a number of times to tour around my visiting foreign friends.



As for Bato, Camarines Sur, I passed by there a number of times. Bato is a rural municipality in the province of Camarines Sur, Philippines. Although, the municipality of Bato, is known for being the "home to Sinarapan, the world's smallest fish", which occupies the waters of Lake Bato, my personal memories of the place is its Pancit Bato.

Pancit Bato, (the original and the malunggay, and ampalaya flavored ones) is a family favorite. Whenever I pass by Bato,Camarines Sur (on my way to Albay and Sorsogon from Naga City and vice versa),I would have a quick stop in Bato to bring home its tasty "Pancit Bato".

8 comments:

  1. I'm major, major intrigued with pancit bato! Hahaha! I wonder if there's a resto here in Manila that serves pancit bato...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Jazz with this question haha.But dear in my 36 years of existence I can say that this is a major major difficult question hahaha. I have never thought of finding pancit bato in Manila coz maybe if I could find one it will already be called as Pancit Manila? di ba ga? hahaha.But my short answer dear is I don't know yet,but i'll surely tip you when I find out.Or better still I can bring you some when I visit Bato this month!! thank you thank you for always checking my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha honga po! I'd love to taste pancit bato po talaga. That would be very awesome if you bring me some hahaha! Nyikes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Mhe, am finally on blogspot. Have to do this for my fashion blog (May's Heels). Good to read your comings and goings. I miss blogging about places but ah..cant do it now. too many things going on. Keep it up and one day, you can publish a travelogue, hope you choose me to help you! that's gonna be fun! :)
    ps how to i follow your blog?

    me's here: http://maysheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello May dear! welcome to blogspot. i will include your blog in my blog list.my blog address is mheanneojeda.blogspot.com. thanks for checking the entries . about travelogue sure you can do it.paano ba yun? another friend is publishing the blog as a book though.the idea strikes me and want to have a copy but he suggested we choose entries and print a number for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz dear.Sige i'll bring you some. i'll be there maybe sept 22 onwards.nga pala,i can't find the icon to follow your blog. i only have it in my blog list.let me know. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ma'am! I was just kidding about my earlier request for some pancit bato. *turns shy* Hahaha! My heartfelt thanks though!:) I'm sure I'll have my pancit bato experience in the future and the foodie in me will be greatly satisfied! :)

    The follow icon is now visible in my side bar. Super thanks! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney