Friday, September 10, 2010

Before I Hit The Twig: Learn To Eat Rice With Chopsticks

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda

I have checked this task "Learning To Eat Rice With Chopstick" off the book "2001 Things To Do Before You Die".

I learned to use chopsticks from my Korean students, when I taught English as a second language (which btw, is another task I checked as done in the book) to about a hundred Korean students from 1992 - 1998 while I was in college and law school.


Chopsticks (i.e. that pair of slender sticks usually made of wood, or ivory held between the thumb and finger) play an important role in the so-called "rice bowl" cultures of China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam where food is usually eaten with chopsticks. Rice is also the staple food in the Philippines but most people here have traditionally eaten rice with their hands or with spoon and fork so the use of chopsticks with rice is not that
common.

Wanting to learn a new skill and adopt a new culture, I asked my Korean students to teach me how to use chopsticks.Then, whenever I dine with them at Korean resto, I practice eating with chopsticks. I was awkward in the beginning but now it comes second nature to me. In fact when I visited the "rice bowls" culture of Korea, China, Japan and Vietnam, I always use chopsticks or ask for one if I wasn't provided one.

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney