Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Double Take on Amsterdam!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Of all my August travel memories, Amsterdam, the capital of Holland (Netherlands) is set apart as the only country I visited for two (2) consecutive days without having to sleep there at night!

Yes! All you need is an adventurous spirit and a loving boyfriend slash tour guide haha.


During the last leg of my first Europe trip in August 2007, I have two (2) long lay overs in Amsterdam with the route Paris - Amsterdam - Sweden - Amsterdam - Manila.



I met Mark in Paris while I left my trip companion, Atty.Joji Olivete in Arlanda,Sweden and needed to pick her up before our flight to Manila.


Since Amsterdam is situated very centrally in the Netherlands and is not far from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport by train or bus, it would be a pity not to explore Amsterdam’s exciting sights!So from Paris,I flew to Amsterdam while Mark took the express train.

I got to Amsterdam ahead of Mark, so I braved myself and checked out some sights on foot.



The city centre is surprisingly compact and all key attractions can easily be reached by foot like the Dam Square, The Dungeon, and Maddam Tassuads Wax Museum. I was lucky to get in touch with an old friend,Victor Castillo,so it felt good to have company while waiting for Mark.

With Victor's crazy tour ideas like a walk around the 'red - light district' and Mark's commendable suggestions, I had one of the best walking tour before I headed for the airport that day! Amsterdam is so compressed that nearly all tourist attractions are located within walking distance from each other.



For my turn-around visit (after that comfortable sleep on KLM flights back and forth Sweden-Amsterdam), topping my 'to do list' with Atty.Joji is to see Amsterdam from the water. Amsterdam has 165 canals with a total length of 100kms! With all that water, one should not miss taking a cruise and exploring Amsterdam’s waterways!



So we got on that Museum City Boat and cruise along the canals for an hour enjoying the numerous monumental buildings along side and getting amazed at the beautiful gables (frontpieces at roof level) of the houses.


For history sake, we visited the Anne Frank House, a museum showcasing the hiding place where Anne Frank wrote her famous diary during World War II. Anne Frank was a normal girl who for more than two years described in her diary the events of her daily life in hiding.

15 comments:

  1. Huwaw! Anne Frank Museum! Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jazz dear.Visiting the museum was a moving experience.there were lots of people lined up that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I hope to visit these places...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you mind if I quote a couplе οf your aгticles as lοng
    as I рroѵіdе cгedit
    аnԁ ѕouгceѕ back to youг webpage?
    My ωеbsite іs in the eхaсt sаme area of interest as yours anԁ my users
    would tгuly benefit fгom а lot of thе
    infoгmation you presеnt here. Ρleaѕe lеt me know if thiѕ oκaу with you.
    Regaгds!

    Also visit mу web site ... Cheapest Cebu Vacation Package

    ReplyDelete
  5. For latest news you have to pay a quick visit world wide web
    and on world-wide-web I found this web site as a finest web site for hottest updates.


    Also visit my web page Self Catering Chalets In Durban Beachfront

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome article.

    Feel free to surf to my web site; movers relocation Santa Monica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helpful information. Fortunate me I found your site by accident, and I am stunned
    why this coincidence did not took place in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

    Here is my homepage - relocation companies Anaheim

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very attention-grabbing, You're a very professional blogger. I've joined your feed and look ahead
    to in quest of more of your excellent post.
    Additionally, I've shared your website in my social networks

    My web site ... Glendale moving costs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eхсellent post. Ι used to be cheсkіng continuouѕly
    this weblοg and I'm impressed! Extremely helpful info specifically the final phase :) I take care of such information much. I used to be seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    Also visit my homepage; movers cost Santa Monica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loѵе ωhat уou guys аre up toο.

    Thіs typе οf clеver woгk аnԁ reporting!
    Keep uρ the good ωoгks guуs І've included you guys to my own blogroll.

    Also visit my web blog - movers Miami FL

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I orіginally commented I clіcκeԁ the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and noω each time a comment is added I
    get four e-mailѕ with the same comment. Ӏs there any way you can rеmove
    me from thаt seгvice? Thank you!



    Feel free to viѕit my site ... Cheap Moving

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does youг websіte have a сontact pagе?

    I'm having problems locating it but, I'd like to
    send you аn email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

    My web site ... moving company Miami

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Its truly remarkable piece of writing,
    I have got much clear idea concerning from this paragraph.


    Also visit my page - Durban Bed Breakfast Westville

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, this was a very good post. Taking a few minutes and actual
    effort to create a superb article… but what can I say… I
    procrastinate a whole lot and don't seem to get anything done.

    My website - Bali Travel Blogspot Review

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a really good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Brief but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

    Here is my web page Kirkland WA relocation companies

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney