Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Green Journey!

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda


Lately I could hardly escaped the Green concept! It amazes me that every single thing I do every day has an impact on the planet -- good or bad. So if I choose to create a good global impact,then I have to choose to go Green on what I buy, or eat, or even to how I vacation and where I travel.


I checked some ideas on the internet for green vacations (http://gogreentravelgreen.com) and I feel glad to realize that I have journeyed in a green way!

1. Leave-No-Trace Camping. It’s fun by yourself or with friends and family. Be sure to stay on trails and in designated camp sites. Look for signs and obey rules and regulations the camp area has.


Our family camped at Paradise Ranch on the occasion of our Family reunion and all the kids and adults were taught how to live in tents (and bahay kubo), no electricity,eat organic food and leave the camping site clean and orderly.




2. Renting A Small RV. Renting an RV and driving across the country makes for a great green vacation. While RVs may get terrible gas mileage, your vacation will make up for this because you’re not flying nor are you using resources such as electricity at a hotel.


When we traveled to Norway from Sweden last August 2007,we used my friends RV trailer.It has everything we need saving us on hotel and its resources.





3. Read and Relax Vacation. Go somewhere closer to home (via car, train, or bus) and spend your entire trip reading and relaxing. Not only is this rejuvenating but it has a low impact on the environment.


My family traveled to a nearby park on a family van big enough to have everyone. On our way to the park,we played travel bingo where they have to mark each item like road signs,traffic light,etc. they see along the road.The kids learn while staying green.





4. Visit State and National Parks. There are state/national parks across the world. Visit them to support their conservation efforts.


In many countries I visited, I made it a point to visit their national parks and learn of their conservation efforts.





5. Visit Family and Friends. When you visit family and friends on vacation you’re sharing resources and thus more likely to be green. Plus, you’ll get the insider’s scoop on the destination you’re visiting.


On my vacation plans I always choose the place where I have a family or friend whom I could stay at. Their inputs on where to go helps lessen my expense and share resources.





6. Train to Anywhere. Taking an overnight train is an incredible experience and it makes for a very green vacation.


My prince and I chose to take the overnight train from Shanghai to Beijing the night of December 31, 2007 and was in Beijing on New Year's Day!It was my first train ride and really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney