Monday, November 2, 2009

Manila American Cemetery: A Memorial To The Brave!



Today is a Philippine holiday called "All Souls Day". It’s the time of the year, when the words "cemeteries" and "pay tribute to departed souls" become household words. So to jump on the bandwagon, I thought of writing about my favorite cemetery - the World War II Manila American Cemetery and Memorial.


-I took a picture at the star-shaped tombstone (which according to my prince is a Jewish sign)

Located at Fort Bonifacio in the district of Taguig, the cemetery is the final resting place for 17,206 American military dead lost during the War in the Pacific for New Guinea and the Philippines. A monument is inscribed with the names of 36,285 Americans whose remains were never found or identified.



For the LDS Church history, the American Cemetery was where, Elder Gordon B. Hinckley, then Assistant to the Twelve, met with a small group of local servicemen, American residents, Filipino members and their families last April 28, 1961, to offer a prayer for the islands and open the islands for missionary work.



Because the cemetery is a huge part of the LDS Church History, it was chosen as part of the venues for the J. Reuben Clark Law Society First Anniversary Conference last August 21-22, 2009.

I also have brought there some of my LDS American friends including my prince for a sense of history.


with my prince Mark



with Akemi and Colton Jackson


with my friends Leily, Jean and Grace (with Phil, Leily's husband taking the picture)


with Nabil and Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney