Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hanging Bridges: Bridging the Gap of Fear and Adventure

by: Mhe-anne L. Ojeda



I'm an acrophobe. I'm scared of heights- especially fear of hanging bridges - the so-called rope hanging bridges that are meant for walking, or pathways to another place. The bridge no matter how sturdy or look safe, evokes danger to me for they seem to be too high off above the land or the river and it sway! I feel a twinge of anxiety and fear in simply walking across a hanging bridge. And so like many acrophobic people, I treat my fear through avoidance.

But wanting to be a gutsy woman and overcome this acrophobia, I started trying bridges gradually exposing myself in small steps from the least fearful situation to the most fearful ones. This allows me to adjust to each step and overcome the fear incrementally. So looking back at my travels, I have tried walking at several hanging bridges as part of my journey to gutsiness - first just looking at the bridge in Cagayan de Oro, then walking halfway thru a bridge in Bohol, then crossing completely the bridge at Sunway Lagoon in KL, Malaysia, and finally enjoying the bridge walk at Sentosa, Singapore. Wow, I had unique experience being able to overcome the fear of heights.


- Starting my first step in Cagayan de Oro hanging bridge in July 2007



-walking half way thru the hanging bridge in Loboc, Bohol in July 2007


-completely crossing thru the bridge in Sunway Lagoon, KL Malaysia in September 2009


-enjoying the bridge walk at Sentosa Bridge in Singapore in October 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney