Friday, June 26, 2009

Australia Planning: Go Somewhere By Yourself!



Go somewhere by yourself.

My journey to gutsiness started out by deciding to travel to Sydney Australia for a week from July 7 to 14, 2009. Since I was attending the Asia Pacific Conference of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society set at Hobart, Tasamania Australia on July 3-5, 2009, I thought visiting Melbourne and Sydney, Australia would be so cool since I can only go to Tasmania from Manila by passing either Melbourne and Sydney anyway.

My only problem is that I don’t know anyone in both places.

My search for friends who lives there was the first step and found a really good one in Melbourne. She is Aunt Tess, the aunt of my friend from Don Antonio Ward, who agreed to pick me up from the airport and host me for as long as I want before or after my flight to Hobart Tasmania.

So I thought a Manila-Melbourne – Tasmania – Manila is good enough.

But for Filipinos, being in Australia without visiting Sydney is not being in Australia at all.

So I was determined to have a Manila-Melbourne-Tasmania-Sydney-Manila adventure, no matter what.

But who in Sydney can help me find my way out there? I have never been alone in a foreign place, and being alone is more than a little uncomfortable for me. I’m afraid!!

Then I remember an article in Cebu Pacific Magazine on "Bunk With a Local" through the Couchsurfing.com site.

I logged on to the site and search for a host who will let me crash on their sofa for a night or two, free of charge, while giving me firsthand perspective of Sydney.

After a few days of searching for profiles that match the kind of host I want and being inspired and riveted on one name Ying Zhang, I sent her an email requesting to surf her couch and after a day or two, I got a reply that said yes!!! I exchanged emails with Ying Zhang and planned on my arrival on July 7 and staying with her for two nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney