Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some Things You Can Do In New York Before You Die

Everyone wants to go to New York! Well, who wouldn't? New York is a leading global city, exerting a powerful influence over worldwide commerce, finance, culture, and entertainment, entitling it to its various nicknames as "The City that Never Sleeps", "Gotham" (of the famous Batman movies) and the Big Apple.For Filipinos, being in the US to them is being in New York! New York city truly has something for everyone. New York city is sure to delight you.

I was in New York for the second time last February 16-28, 2009 to spend quality time with my prince. He lives in New Jersey and commutes to the City (New York) to attend classes at Cardozo Law School from Monday to Thursday. On my first day there, he asked me to list down the places that I wanted to see or things I would love to do while over there. I obliged.

Topping my list is to go to the places I've been to in 2002 when I first visited the City - Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center , Columbus Circle, Central Park and Wall Street in general so I can take pictures of the sites using my digital camera. I am now into digitized coffee table books (no more time for scrap booking). Since I have been to US when digital camera was not yet the craze, I have all my photos of New York in hard (printed) copy and I have to scan them before it can be made into coffee table book. Now at least I have the photos in my digital camera - making it easier not only to do a digitized book but also in uploading it here on my blog.


Wall Street


Columbus Circle


Central Park

Second, I wanted to see those that I wasn't able to see during my first visit (either because it wasn't there yet or I didn't have time to see it then) like the Empire State Building, Ground Zero (the Twin Towers were still standing tall) and the Manhattan New York Temple.

Empire State Building-it may no longer be the world`s tallest building. (it currently ranked seventh), but it is certainly one of the best known skyscrapers, its pencil slim silhouette a symbol of New york City and, perhaps, the 20th century.


Manhattan New York Temple


Third, is to experience the energy and watch the people. Nothing matches the rush of being a part of this huge, high speed, open 24/7, creative madhouse. New York is unique among American cities for its high use of and 24-hour availability of mass transit, and for the overall density and diversity of its population.


Grand Central Terminal - world`s largest railway station and nation's busiest

Well, I thought my list was enough, until I read the book "2001 Things To Do Before You Die" at the Barnes and Noble while waiting for my prince that Monday morning. Within the pages of the book reside all sorts of cool things to do -serious, funny, mundane, wonderful, ridiculous, crazy, or inspiring that I can do while in New York before I hit the twig. Simple tasks to silly pranks, from charitable deeds to risky feats, from sweeping lifesyles changes to dramatic philosophical transformations, from mundane to sublime to the ridiculous like:

February 16, 2009
1. Play in Madison Square Garden
2. Have Yourself Paged at the Madison Square Garden

I met with Zaniah and Maricel at the Madison Square Garden. I told them of my plan of playing there as part of the "2001 Things to do Before I Die" tasks. They are supportive.I thought of playing some jumping rope, or a hula-hoop but I didn't bring any gadget so I just jumped in using an imaginary rope... I had fun!


3. Haggle and Win



With Zaniah and Maricel still, we went to a shop at Times Square and I found the New York white jacket that I am looking for. The store clerk said that it is $38. Although I want it so bad, I didn't have enough money for it. So I put this task to a good use. I pretended not to like it a lot, and tried to check other stuff. The store clerk followed me and offered to give the jacket for $29, then for $27 and then $25 everytime I give him the cold shoulder. The $25 actually sounded reasonable for the quality of the jacket, but remembering that I only have $20 in my wallet, I did not give in. So he was prompted to ask me "How much do you want?". I said "Give it to me for $20 and you have a deal". He said "No, that is too low, but $22 would be ok". I pretended to leave the shop. When he felt that I am ready to walk away, he gave in and so I got the jacket for $20.

4. Ride the Circle Line around Manhattan
5. Take the ferry to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty

Statue of Liberty - national monument still stands as a near universal symbol of freedom and democracy

6. Spend a weekend at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City
7. Fall in love on public transportation
8. Be caricatured in Barnes and Noble Ad
9. Be pictured on the front page of New York Times
10. Start at Lake Tear of the Clouds and go by canoe down the Hudson to the Statue of Liberty
11. Attend the Blessing of the Animals at New York City's Cathedral of St. John the Divine
Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine - everything about this cathedral is on the scale of the giants; though technically unfinished, its already the largest Gothic cathedral in the world, and it contains the biggest stained-glass window in the country

3 comments:

  1. You can do so much in New York! I love it there! It is one of the most exciting cities in the world!

    I visited NY last year with my sister and it was amazing. We booked one of the serviced apartments New York has to offer and spent the whole two weeks seeing all the tourist attractions! We went rowing in central park, ate oysters in Grand central, saw Brooklyn bridge!

    The best thing we did though, by far was walk the high line! I have never seen anything like it! The wild flowers, wooden benches and meandering paths all juxtaposed against the train track below. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This post posted at this
    web page is genuinely fastidious.

    Also visit my website :: Click For More

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always emailed this weblog post page to all
    my contacts, because if like to read it next my contacts will too.


    my web-site ... Reviews on Visual Impact Muscle Building

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney