Saturday, October 11, 2008

Monthly Get-Together



One of the Ojeda Family traditions is the monthly get - together, usually on the first Saturday or Sunday of each month. This is done either at my parent's house in Bulacan, or at a special restaurant if there's something exciting going on coinciding with the date of the get -together. This photo was taken during the World Pyro Olympics last May 31, 2008 at the Mall of Asia. In the photo is me (in Mango tee) with my mom Cristy on my left and my papa Lito on my right. We are joined by my three brothers and their respective families.

I always enjoy and look forward to our monthly family dining experience, even though as the family grows the expense grows too. It is a tradition that I started with the family, because it was during mealtime when I was growing up that I learned important lessons in life from my parents. At the dining table, my parents taught me to be curious, to ask questions, to watch people closely especially in a new environment - to treat them respectfully, to work very hard and to always do my best. They believed that no matter what I chose to do with my life, the skills I learned would help me. They let me know in dozens of little ways that they trusted my decisions, trusted me to stay focused on my goals, and trusted me to lead an upright life. I also learned how my parents value education. They were poor and have been obliged to work after high school. College was out of the question and an impossible dream. But they desperately desired an education for their children. It is one of the great joys of my life that I did not disappoint my parents. I am a lawyer now for almost ten years, and currently a corporate attorney in a global corporation sole. Because of the values I learned mostly during my dining experience with the family, I graduated valedictorian in law school, cum laude in college and became a recipient of academic and extra-curricular achievements and recognition both in school and at work. As we continue this family dining tradition, I am able to show my parents my gratitude for all their teachings. Also, it provides opporunity for my nephews and nieces to learn and pick up values which will help them as they grow up.

2 comments:

  1. This entry to the Famealy Values Photo Contest of Lucky and Philippines Star was chosen as the extra-ordinary family dining entry for the week and was published in Philippines Star last Sunday, October 26, 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry won as one of the five runners-up of the FaMEALy Values: What I learned from the Dinner Table, Lucky Me! and Philippine Star Photo Essay Contest!

    As a runner-up, I won 4 buffet certificates for 4 at the Heat Restaurant, in Edsa Shangri-La Hotel, for more memorable bonding moments with my family.

    Since we won a total of 8 certificates, we will have a get-together at the Heat on December 06, 2008 and pay for the family of Joel and Kuya Mike.

    ReplyDelete

Lakbayan Philippines Grade


My Lakbayan grade is A!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out at Lakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.

Trotting The Globe

Travel Map
I've been to 660 cities in 26 countries
Mhe-Anne is an explorer that:
does their own thing
doesn't mind roughing it
lives on the edge
Travel cred: high
I rank in the top...
0.1% most cities visited - Philippines
0.1% most cities visited - Brunei Darussalam
0.1% most cities visited - Asia

Travel Philippines

Travel Philippines

Travel USA

Travel USA
New York - View from the Empire State Building

Travel Australia

Travel Australia
Opera House - Sydney